TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Peer Pressure and Bullying Social pressure can take many different forms, including intimidation, bullying and even physical attacks. If you feel you could be a victim or perpetrator (who wishes to stop) of bullying, talk about it here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
stina Offline
~Wanting it all back
Not a n00b

Name: Stina

Does your school try to help or hinder? - January 25th 2009, 08:42 PM

I remember in high school there wasn't much of anything to do with anti-bullying. The school pretty much looked in the opposite direction. To them, it didn't exist.

That was until the year one boy was bullied so badly, he went home and ended his life.

It really angers me that it took a whole life to make the school snap into reality.

I know it had a ripple effect on the whole city, and into other parts of the GTA as well. It even inspired a book (In Fulll Uniform, and a Billy Talent song)

Since then- my high school had created a group to campaign against bullying. Authority figures decided to actually do things when they witnessed it in the halls.

Better yet,a lot of the kids at school took this all to heart and refused to stand by as others were being bullied.

It was an extreme change. It felt like a whole new school.

Do you ever remember seeing a difference at your school so suddenly? Was it because of certain events that took place?

How bad is the bullying at your school? Does your school have anti-bullying campaigns? Are the effective?

Share some experiences you have seen at school.

-Stina-
Go on and hold her
till the screaming is gone
Go on believe her
when she tells you
'Nothings wrong'

----
Even if I tried could you be less than an addiction?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: Does your school try to help or hinder? - January 25th 2009, 08:49 PM

My school has a very good counseling program, but I feel like it could be easy to get lost in a school as big as mine. Counselors have 100s of people in every grade on their hands, and you have to be very insistent on getting what you want.

In a big public school like mine, no one checks to see if you're okay. It would be very logistically difficult. You have to fend for yourself, and often fending for yourself means going to a different, smaller school where you can get the care you need. It's hard to get the help you need at my school unless you're intent on getting it, and many victims of bullying are not.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
7thCavalry Offline
Banned
Not a n00b

Re: Does your school try to help or hinder? - January 25th 2009, 09:13 PM

Well. I went to school in NYC. And the bad parts of it. So yeah.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
*Faith* Offline
They'll never know.
I've been here a while

Name: Faith

Re: Does your school try to help or hinder? - January 26th 2009, 01:57 AM

I don't think there has been any bullying at my school while I've been there so there isn't any need for a program or anything, but they have mentioned little things about cyberbullying.

You were the angel of my life, taught me to be free
Now I'm a stranger in your eyes.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
WingedWolf Offline
Average Joe

Name: Wolfie

Re: Does your school try to help or hinder? - January 26th 2009, 03:33 AM

Heh, this is really interesting for a discussion topic. It's a shame to hear it ook that, but it does seem to be what it takes sometimes.
My school didn't 'believe' in bullying. There was no bullying on their site, and any bullying that occurred was resolved in 2 weeks or less, according to the information we were given about the school.
Well that was a pile of shite, wasn't it? Since I got there, until now, 5 years, I have been bullied. Physical, Verbal and Sexual abuse, because of how I look and how I behave (I treat my teachers as ordinary humans and this appears to presetnt a problem :P) There are hundreds of students like me who couldn't reach out because the school didn't 'believe' in bullying. But I...think I sort of opened a floodgate.
I'm a good student, see? Clever, I do alot of out of hours work for them, presentations, all that. Suddenly, one day, after about three years, I broke down. I shook, and I cried, and I couldn't talk for about an hour. Not because I was scared of the bullies, but because I was scared of what my teachers might think of me. They got it out of me, about 2 hours on. They found out I SI'd. I was put into councelling, and teachers were alerted to the bullying epidemic that was sweeping the school. Students really felt like they could talk to their teachers. The number of bullying cases being reported skyrocketed.
For all of about 6 months, then it was forgotten.
Teachers forgot, students forgot, and the cycle came back. Noone could admit, noone could report, through fear of being disbelieved. There are still students who will deal with it, there are small groups who you can go to and talk to them, and they will force the school system to take action (I'm one of them I almost got into a lot of trouble that way :P) I don't know. The school doesnt stick to what it says.
Things change, and that's a shame, because when people were really aware, things improved so much.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
InTheFlood Offline
Walking In The Sun...
I've been here a while

Name: Amelia

Re: Does your school try to help or hinder? - January 26th 2009, 08:05 AM

my schools a lot like yours was they'll give a half-hearted attempt to stop, but they do nothing at all.
I'm in my 3rd year here and ive been bullied straight through. They only did something when i attempted to take my life and my mum threatened legal action.

║▌│█│║▌║││█║▌│║▌║
ORIGINAL MCFLY FAN

"Another year over, and we're still together.
It's not always easy, but McFly's here forever
I know you believe me, when you look into my eyes
'Cause McFly never dies, because The Heart Never Lies!"

(#7 (permalink)) Old
WingedAngel Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Hannah

Re: Does your school try to help or hinder? - January 26th 2009, 03:43 PM

I think most schools claim to have an anti-bully policy, like my school supposedly has, yet they do little if anything if anything arises. I was bullied verbally, yet I knew people who were physically bullied and nothing at all was done. I think though that many people really are too afraid to speak up because they know that their bullies are going to make things worse if they find out they've said anything, which is ultimately made worse when the school only takes a half hearted approach to anti-bullying.

x

(#8 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Does your school try to help or hinder? - January 26th 2009, 04:35 PM

To be honest, the people at my school don't do a very good job of stopping the bullying. It's mostly because the principal is a bit of a jerk. Not that long ago I actually got called to the office because apparently they found out I was occasionally bullied. All they do is try to give you ways to stand up for yourself and make you feel like what the people say doesn't matter, but it's kind of a pain because that doesn't make the bullying stop, and it doesn't help much.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Lady Luck Offline
luck be a lady
Not a n00b

Name: Lucy

Re: Does your school try to help or hinder? - January 26th 2009, 04:57 PM

I know that my school has a bullying policy but mostly its ignored. I am a target for bullying, mostly verbal although they are starting to destroy my stuff now and it does not stop in my school. It has been going on since kindergarten and I usually have a breakdown twice a year now from it. The teachers and staff give a whole anti-bullying speech and the counselors tell me to ignore them but what they do not get is that at least in my school, its pretty small just a little less than 800 people in the High School, around 150 graduate a year, the kids take that as an excuse to do more bullying because the bullied was getting them in trouble. So yeah the school bullying thing is crap no-one cares anymore. Ditto with "zero tolerance" policies, so many people can get around them.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Heaven Sent, to Help You!
Average Joe

Name: Brooke

Re: Does your school try to help or hinder? - January 27th 2009, 08:26 AM

My school takes anti -bullying over the top.

I understand and welcome it but things have to even out right? If there's no bullying other things have to happen to even it out because things are going to happen that are off center. When there's too much weight on one side of the spectrum, it tilts. So I see this school ending off in a kick.

When I say overly anti-bully I mean.
- No "go home freshmen" chants
- a fight in the school [bully or not] can possibly get you expelled or suspended for like 6-12 days.
- They mesh all the classes together, so there's no class rivalry.[Because we have houses instead of like Class of 10, 11 , 12. there are all the classes meshed together into houses such as yellow red etc.]
- We had this WHOLE ceremony on anti bullying, and we are constantly reminded how bad it is.

I am in an organization called friends of Rachel against bullying, and I'm totally against it but the spectrum is WICKED off balanced here. I have a feeling something bad is going to happen.

Like already, it's only the 2nd year the schools been open and there has been a boys bathroom caught on fire and a gun in the school. so uhh I see bad things happening

So where did everyone go?
And you don't even know
So don't pretend that you do

It's just a set up
For all the failures
Always playing after something cool

Send a message via AIM to Brooke Basketcase Send a message via MSN to Brooke Basketcase Send a message via Yahoo to Brooke Basketcase  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
$Kelly2DaB$ Offline
awesome =]
Not a n00b

Name: Kelly

Re: Does your school try to help or hinder? - January 28th 2009, 11:25 AM

before i graduated, my high school was so intolerable of bullying and violence, we had a whole week devoted to it every year. they even went as far as making cutouts of people in red board and then typed their stories and glued it to the people cutouts

Kelly!
  Send a message via AIM to $Kelly2DaB$  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Debs <3 x Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Debbie

Re: Does your school try to help or hinder? - January 28th 2009, 01:43 PM

Our school claimed to have always had an anti-bullying policy but it neveer did anything really..
until a few years ago a boy in my school a few years younger committed suicide, he was being bullied and that was one of the main reasons i think

now they claim there is no bullying in the school and its all great, pfft what a pile of crap lol, its just as bad as it was before, and theres all this stuff about bullying but nothing is done really x

(#13 (permalink)) Old
WhySoSerious? Offline
Mute Poet
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Vicki

Re: Does your school try to help or hinder? - January 28th 2009, 05:57 PM

My school has a "zero tolerance" for bullying apparently, but I never have seen anyone try to do anything, though there are a couple teachers who keep and eye out in the class room... but I've still noticed it going on.

At the very least though, they don't stand for violence.

~Where death is I am not, where I am death is not, so we never meet~

I'd rather die terrified

than live forever.
We will all die so gloriously, that having ever lived will seem like folly.
-Asofterworld

Send a message via MSN to WhySoSerious?  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Joe Offline
Joe, The Average Joe
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Joe

Re: Does your school try to help or hinder? - January 29th 2009, 09:49 PM

My school doesn't really care. That's why many students make decision on their own, but they end up getting suspended.
  Send a message via AIM to Joe  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Penguin Queen Offline
Penguin queen!!
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Does your school try to help or hinder? - January 31st 2009, 11:08 AM

My old school had a stupid policy where to stop people making up lies, the bully had to admit it or conclusive evidence had to be presented. Even when a girl beat me and a friend up in the same day she was only excluded for 1 day. Later that year she beat up another one of my friends, and she was only excluded for half a day. And that was when teachers had seen it. Also, when a stone was thrown at me (and split my lip right open) they wouldn't do anything because it could be one of two people. The only positive thing they ever did was set up an anti bullying club, which didn't do much really, apart from give people one lunch time a week were they didn't have to be alone.

fait
h is a bluebird that you see from afar
it is real and as sure as the first evening star
can't touch it, or buy it, or lock it up tight
but its there just the same
making things turn out right

LE PE
NGUIN QUEEN

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Tegan Offline
Make a wish...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tegan

Re: Does your school try to help or hinder? - February 8th 2009, 01:23 PM

My school has a kind of ignore it thing going on...
Girls get really bitchy when left to there own devices and in my experience 9 times out of 10 the 'hot' girls pick on the girls who aren't seen by others to be stunning, it makes me so angry and the school refuses to do anything about it!
There's this group of girls who think they're all that and all they do is pick on all the other girls who aren't pretty or hot enough to be in their group.
what a joke!

You are the one, the one who lies next to me,
Whispers "hello, I missed you quite terribly"

Closed Thread