TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Peer Pressure and Bullying Social pressure can take many different forms, including intimidation, bullying and even physical attacks. If you feel you could be a victim or perpetrator (who wishes to stop) of bullying, talk about it here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
iMuse Offline
Bah! Humbug!
Average Joe

Name: Rosy

'It's our fault for being "miserable human beings".' ? - July 25th 2010, 11:30 PM

Today, I cam across a post on Yahoo answers. The question was what was our opinion about a quote ('No wonder life stinks, since it came from between the legs.')

I find this post almost bullying. I found it offensive and narrow minded.

Here is what it says:
I agree with the first answer. Also, i don't think life 'stinks' , i love my life. I have an incredible job, am surrounded by people I love, and have a roof over my head. I am healthy and living my life. I find that people make their lives 'stink' because they are miserable human beings. the choice is yours. I chose to be happy. How bout you??

This is what I wrote in response:
I think the quote is funny and truthful. But it could've been put in a better way, like removing the 'since' and changing the comma into a semi-colon, making it : No wonder life stinks; it came from between the legs.

To @Artemis Athena, I find what you said about 'people making their lives "stink".' and that it's 'our fault for being miserable.' very insulting and narrow minded.
Just because some of us have it harder, doesn't mean we force it upon ourselves. Do you think that the children who starve can come home to their slums and smile because 'life is good'? That Bipolar's and Schizophrenics can resist their mental illnesses, and just ignore all the delusions? Bulimics can look in the mirror and feel happy about their body? That girls can go to bed and laugh because they know they are about to be abused and raped? We don't 'make' ourselves sad, we are naturally, especially when we suffer with anxiety issues. I hate it when I come across obstinate post's like yours. Think again before making unfair generalisations.

What do you think when you come across horrible bigots like this person?
Have you had any similar encounters? If so, what did they say, and did you respond?

Send a message via Skype™ to iMuse 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
sirjan xerdaj Offline
Pinkly Smooth .
Average Joe

Name: Xerdaj Sirjan

Re: 'It's our fault for being "miserable human beings".' ? - July 26th 2010, 03:34 AM

Probably a bunch of college guys who drink beer and watch Jay and Silent Bob all day. Then "funny" one made a connection with the girl he slept with from the night before and how miserable his life would be if he fathered the child if she didn't take the pill cause he's too miserable to buy a condom. *huffs and puffs from run on sentence* After many "no dude it should go like's" they collaborated and came up with that quote. I hope that doesn't offend anyone. Or that would be bullying.

You should have spammed 'TROLL' and got best answer.

[X E R D A J] ~Sessyrocks~
-=i wanna be your knight=-
  Send a message via AIM to sirjan xerdaj Send a message via MSN to sirjan xerdaj Send a message via Yahoo to sirjan xerdaj Send a message via Skype™ to sirjan xerdaj 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: 'It's our fault for being "miserable human beings".' ? - July 26th 2010, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMuse
What do you think when you come across horrible bigots like this person?
Have you had any similar encounters? If so, what did they say, and did you respond?
I'll respond to what the person said as well as to what you said to the person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMuse View Post
Today, I cam across a post on Yahoo answers. The question was what was our opinion about a quote ('No wonder life stinks, since it came from between the legs.')
Not all people on places such as Yahoo answers will give serious answers. Sometimes a person will be very informative but other times the person may just respond with sarcasm and essentially be a troll.

Quote:
I find this post almost bullying. I found it offensive and narrow minded.

Here is what it says:
I agree with the first answer. Also, i don't think life 'stinks' , i love my life. I have an incredible job, am surrounded by people I love, and have a roof over my head. I am healthy and living my life. I find that people make their lives 'stink' because they are miserable human beings. the choice is yours. I chose to be happy. How bout you??
Perhaps it wasn't explained in the best of ways but I don't find it narrow-minded. It's saying when certain situations don't turn out as we want them to, we can become miserable and be pessimistic, without trying as much, causing ourselves to be even worse. The person is simply saying to not give up even when the only thing around us is shit. The person describes their life as an example of how having a positive, prosocial mindset and actions make one's life better.

It's using the old adage of "there's light ahead of the tunnel if we keep going" but if we turn around and say "screw it, it's too far, I'm just going to stay here", we're going to be miserable.

I don't think you understood the message they were saying at all. I think you saw the words "miserable human beings" and acted irrationally on emotions.

Quote:
This is what I wrote in response:
I think the quote is funny and truthful. But it could've been put in a better way, like removing the 'since' and changing the comma into a semi-colon, making it : No wonder life stinks; it came from between the legs.
I don't understand this at all.

Quote:
Just because some of us have it harder, doesn't mean we force it upon ourselves. Do you think that the children who starve can come home to their slums and smile because 'life is good'? That Bipolar's and Schizophrenics can resist their mental illnesses, and just ignore all the delusions? Bulimics can look in the mirror and feel happy about their body? That girls can go to bed and laugh because they know they are about to be abused and raped? We don't 'make' ourselves sad, we are naturally, especially when we suffer with anxiety issues.
All very true but none of this goes against the person's response, in fact it supports it. When people with schizophrenia are suffering from their delusions that's making their life undesirable, the person is saying to keep fighting and not give up. When we give up, we let the situations get worse and then complain about how it's worse. We then give up more and it continuously gets worse.

Quote:
I hate it when I come across obstinate post's like yours. Think again before making unfair generalisations.
This is a phrase that always goes against the person saying it. It's like calling someone an inconsiderate moron for doing something then saying no insults should be given.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: 'It's our fault for being "miserable human beings".' ? - July 26th 2010, 04:25 AM

I wouldn't automatically assume this is a bad person, and I don't think their post was directed towards people who are depressed or just generally have a hard time being happy. There are some people in the world who don't have depression or any other mental illness, and just refuse to let themselves be happy. They love to complain, and they constantly dwell on the negative things in life instead of the positive. They're perfectly capable of being happy, but they choose not to be.

If the person said "Depressed people are miserable human beings who need to be more happy with their lives," that would be different. But even if their post sounds offensive they may not have intended it to be that way at all.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DarkSeph Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Liam

Re: 'It's our fault for being "miserable human beings".' ? - July 26th 2010, 03:09 PM

It's a bit of a thoughtless post to be honest, sounds like someone who is spoiled, has things easy and doesn't really understand what it's like for those who suffer.
I'd say only a small fraction of those who have unhappy lives really have a "choice" about it. If you're living in poverty, or suffer depression, or any severe physical or mental illness, or get bullied frequently or you're too young to leave home and have abusive family.... you can't exactly just choose to make things perfect. Even if you fight it to the best of your ability, it will mean years of suffering to beat it and often years further of trauma. The post did say "I find that people" instead of "I find that some" or "a few people".

Currently inactive...
  Send a message via MSN to DarkSeph  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
HopelessVictim Offline
Love Me Before I Parish♥
Average Joe

Name: April J.

Re: 'It's our fault for being "miserable human beings".' ? - July 26th 2010, 06:50 PM

I agree with DarkSeph, that post sounds like it was typed out by a spoiled person, someone who naturally has things easy and probably thinks of him/herself as better than everyone else.
I agree that not many people are unhappy because they chose to be, but are unhappy because they can't help it, it comes naturally. Think about it...if people had the CHOICE to be happy or upset, there would be no upset people to begin with because everyone would chose to be happy.

The Day I First Cut Myself...

Closed Thread