TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Peer Pressure and Bullying Social pressure can take many different forms, including intimidation, bullying and even physical attacks. If you feel you could be a victim or perpetrator (who wishes to stop) of bullying, talk about it here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Alto. Offline
Come as you are
Senior TeenHelper

How To Avoid? - August 19th 2010, 05:53 AM

I've been bullied pretty much all of my life. In the summer it isn't so bad because I don't have to be around those people who do it to me, but in the school year I have to be. I'm going into eighth grade, and I'm not going to let it happen again this year. I've let it happen since kindergarten or first grade, I'm done putting up with it.
Last year I did all that I could to avoid the bullies. I'd take the longer way in the halls to my next class so I wouldn't have to walk near them, I'd walk away when they started talking to me, and I always made sure that I was within hearing range of a teacher, or had a friend near me. But I still couldn't stop them.
In sixth grade I took my older sisters advice and always have a comeback ready for when they say something mean to me, but that made me mean. And, I'm really not like that. I hate myself when I'm mean to others.
My parents know of the bullies, so do my teachers, the principal, and my guidance counselor. They know the bullies by name, yet they don't do anything! We have a school bully box, and I know that my friends and I have put the same names in there countless times, but has that person ever gotten in trouble? NO! One of my friends has even seen them empty the bully box into the trash can!
If the teachers aren't willing to help me with this, then what can I do if I can't handle them anymore? I don't want to be like my sister who almost got suspended because she fought back, but I don't want to let them walk all over me again. How can I avoid them?

wanderer come home
you're not too far
lay down your hurt, lay down your heart
come as you are.

VM | PM

(#2 (permalink)) Old
ForeverAutumn* Offline
together, we are infinite.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: How To Avoid? - August 19th 2010, 12:46 PM

I've seen this happen many times in my own school - kids reporting bullying to the administration, but minimal or no actions being taken to stop the bullying, or prevent it from recurring. Most schools have zero-tolerance policies towards bullying, but unfortunately, sometimes teachers and guidance counselors will look the other way, for whatever reason. It's certainly frustrating to work up the courage to report bullying, and to see that nothing's being done about it.

If the teachers and guidance counselors at your school aren't stepping in or taking reports of bullying seriously, I strongly, strongly encourage you to take it a step further. Talk to your principal, talk to someone from the school committee, the superintendent or head of your school district - keep pushing until someone listens, and more importantly, does something to solve the problem. If you push hard enough, sooner or later your voice will be heard. The school can't ignore reports of bullying forever.

In the meantime - I'd say to continue trying to avoid the kids who bully you, but that doesn't always work. For one thing, you shouldn't have to worry about being bullied, or have to look over your shoulder to make sure the kids who bully you aren't around. Avoiding a problem isn't a long-term solution and it won't help to ultimately solve the problem. It may work for a little while, but sooner or later you're going to have to confront the problem. You don't have to respond with mean comebacks, and I'd definitely avoid getting into a physical confrontation with someone - honestly, I know it's hard, but try to ignore them. Some kids bully just to get a rise out of someone, and when they see you're unaffected by their words or actions, they may back off.

Bullying hurts, and there's no magic fix.. for now, I'd say to keep reporting the situation and see where that gets you, and until then, try to ignore it as best you can. Kids can be especially mean around your age, hopefully within the next few years they'll grow up and be more mature about things, and when that happens the bullying may stop.

Best of luck and take really good care of yourself.

how could anyone ever tell you, you are anything less than beautiful?| PM Me
self-harm free since 06.10.11.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Re: How To Avoid? - August 21st 2010, 02:31 PM

Hi

I've also been bullied a whole lot through school... but not by a particular group of people.
I know it's really tough but you can get through it! It's good to see you have plucked up enough courage to report the issue on numerous occasions, however I am really disgusted in your school for letting it carry on.
I think the teacher that emptied the contents into the bin should be reported and should recieve a warning by the school or maybe even the education board. She isn't doing her job right.
Also I cannot believe so many people know about this and are still letting it go on.
I think talking to your parents about all of this will be a good step to take. Your parents may feel the need to go into school and speak with the head.
Hopefully this will encourage the school to take action against the bullies.
I understand that you may feel as though you can deal with things on your own.. but I think it's time the bullies finally got punished for the amount of emotional pain they have caused you.
Like Sarah says... keep pushing... keep reporting the incidents, they can't ignore it forever
I hope things get better for you dear
Chin-up,
Charli

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while

Name: Ryan

Re: How To Avoid? - August 21st 2010, 09:03 PM

That’s a tricky spot your in, I think it’s horrible on the teachers part to stand there and do nothing while you suffer. I think you should stand up for yourself rather then taking the abuse. I don’t want to encourage fighting because that’s not the answer but you defiantly have to confront them with your parents. Show up at his house one night with both your mom and dad or whoever is taking care of you catch him off guard.

9 tines out of 10 the bully’s parents are reasonable people and will deal with their son or daughter. Now these are just suggestions.

Good luck come the new school year.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
RedJames Offline
Average Joe

Name: James

Re: How To Avoid? - August 22nd 2010, 01:48 AM

Even though you might not like it, the best way to defeat a bully is to stand up for yourself, stand your ground, if they are just using words, just walk away and let it slide off you like nothing, there just words from stupid people. Now if they get physical then you need to defend yourself, bullies will keep coming back over and over until you defend yourself and show them your not going to be picked on.

Closed Thread