TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Peer Pressure and Bullying Social pressure can take many different forms, including intimidation, bullying and even physical attacks. If you feel you could be a victim or perpetrator (who wishes to stop) of bullying, talk about it here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

How to Deal with Bullies - September 24th 2010, 08:10 PM

Hey Guys

So I thought it would be nice to have a thread where people can share tactics on how to defend yourself when you come up against bullies or encounter them. Whether that be you seeing other people getting bullied or you are the victim ..

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BabyGirl767 Offline
Meow! Woof Woof! Moooo! Baaaa!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Re: How to Deal with Bullies - September 24th 2010, 10:30 PM

I saw a video in middle school about what to do when your being bullied. The only thing I can clearly remember is whenever you are in the hallway or in class and your being bullied(like they are taunting you or are asking you questions that are hurtful and inappropriate) you yell(yes yell) STOP! I did it twice in middle school it got my teachers attention but unfortunetly the first teacher told the people who were harassing me to stop and they did but that teacher dint do anything else the second teacher just told the kid who was harassing me to "shut up" this second teacher was a witness to all of the times I was bullied but he never did anything about it and no matter how much I reported the bullying or how much my parents reported it as well the school didn't do anything even after I was shoved onto the stairs of the school bus while i was trying to get on the first step on crutches with a cast on for a stress fracture in my foot with a lot of force. I hope that the "stop" technique works for anyone who is being bullied

I was born with a genetic disorder called neurofibromatosis, it causes tumors to grow in my body on nerves,my spine,and under my skin. I have a tumor in the thalamus region of my brain. I also have heartburn,hypothyroidism and secondary adrenal insufficiency these are under control with medication.
I also have hip dysplasia and scoliosis.

Send a message via AIM to BabyGirl767  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Alto. Offline
Come as you are
Senior TeenHelper

Re: How to Deal with Bullies - September 25th 2010, 05:36 AM

I just try to ignore it. Doesn't really work though, but I don't know what else I could do.

wanderer come home
you're not too far
lay down your hurt, lay down your heart
come as you are.

VM | PM

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: How to Deal with Bullies - September 25th 2010, 06:08 AM

Bullies only fear power (be it administration or force). You have to make sure they are afraid to mess with you, it's the only surefire way.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Visionary
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: How to Deal with Bullies - September 25th 2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Bullies only fear power (be it administration or force). You have to make sure they are afraid to mess with you, it's the only surefire way.
They also fear exposure. Get them uncomfortable with all eyes on them they will crumble. So long as those eyes are not glaring with agreeance towards the bully.
They also fear looking inferior. Why do you think they'll only ever fight the small or weak kids?

One million miles away...

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Re: How to Deal with Bullies - September 25th 2010, 01:40 PM

I think telling someone is one of the biggest steps towards getting rid of bullies.

When you see someone getting bullied.. sticking up for them does wonders. Just telling the person to shut-up and leave them alone tends to work.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: How to Deal with Bullies - September 26th 2010, 09:03 AM

Telling teachers often doesn't do much as many teachers give such weak warnings, it's not a deterrent or threat in any way to the bully. Instead, turn the tables on the bully. The bully does what he/she does because they have power over you and they make them superior to you. As they bully, the difference in power increases with them getting higher and you getting lower. They'll get more confident and depending on the bully, they'll do more severe actions. Since power is what makes the bully able to perform, take that away from them by standing up for to them or if they're asking or saying things to you, question them back. Also, especially when there are many students around, question the bully why they feel so awful that they need to take their misery out on a much weaker person who did nothing to provoke them? Keep questioning and not only does it throw them off their game, their uncertainty knocks their power down and down.

This works for most of them. The ones that beat up people need to be brought to the principal because as great as self-defense is in schools, some schools will punish you for defending yourself as they perceive it as fighting whereas others won't. They also then tell you that you should've told them rather than resort to fighting (best chance to say other teachers didn't listen).

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Twinge Offline
Forever we'll just lay here
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Vint Fall

Re: How to Deal with Bullies - September 26th 2010, 02:04 PM

i never tell anyone though. i just hang out with my friends or plan it myself, with others, just not to be alone. there is NO big tactic if you aren't alone. but if you are, or if i was, i go to the child psychologist that works in the school, he/she would help me definitely.

like i said, you CANNOT do this alone, you need anyone to stand beside you so that they will go away.

I moved back while
my head was turned.

Upside down
closer to the end.

Afraid of the dark
within future times.

I'm drowning there,
my final chase.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Finches Offline
I'm All Ears
Average Joe

Re: How to Deal with Bullies - September 26th 2010, 04:52 PM

Bullies try to elicit a response in the victim. I would say that one should ignore it, but sometimes it really doesn't work.

They also try to get a laugh out of their escapades. One thing one could do if they're getting pranked or pushed around is to play along. Sounds counterintuitive right? If you play along with them and say things like, "Oh haha you guys are so funny! I'm enjoying this silly prank and abuse. You guys are so silly" the bully won't be getting his or her desired response out of you, then it won't be worthwhile.

Closed Thread