TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Peer Pressure and Bullying Social pressure can take many different forms, including intimidation, bullying and even physical attacks. If you feel you could be a victim or perpetrator (who wishes to stop) of bullying, talk about it here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Opal Offline
Not a n00b

Lightbulb Want to know what actually works? - September 29th 2010, 10:22 AM

I mean, you already know 'just ignore it' is completely useless advice. Maybe it worked when you were five, and is supposedly the sensible and mature thing to do, only it's horrible for you and it doesn't stop the harrassment or bullying either.

I've found an idea that actually does work, and I found it on this webpage:

http://www.goodnonfictionbooks.com/fear-is-power.html

Do exactly the opposite of whatever the bully expects you to do!

This is simple, but it takes a bit of thinking to realise what the bullies expect. However, if you react the same way and encounter the same situation, chances are all you have to do is the exact opposite of what you are doing.

Remember that bullies are on a power trip. They feel superior if they can put you down and get away with it. They like to tell themselves emotional stories about how socially superior they are and how you are stupid. This is only a story, and absolute rubbish.

Also, regardless of what people say, you are under no obligation whatsoever to be nice to people who are rude to you. And people who are rude to you will not stop just because you don't like it; they will only stop if they don't like what happens when they do it. If they don't get anything out of it, they won't do it.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Re: Want to know what actually works? - September 29th 2010, 06:58 PM

Hi
I think this is such a good tactick

Thanks for sharing

(#3 (permalink)) Old
IAm42 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Michelle

Re: Want to know what actually works? - September 30th 2010, 04:24 AM

I think this would probably be a good tactic to stop bullying.

Anyone who's seriously been bullied by people (and remember it!) would know that just ignoring the bullies doesn't do anything, at all. You're just an easy target who sits there and takes it .. they love that.

School officials are honestly full of hot air. They don't know what they're talking about. My school personally says that even if someone starts severely beating you, you're not allowed to fight back otherwise you're just as guilty. I mean .. what the hell?

There was one time in a class where this kid sitting beside me stood up and threw a paper at my head. He sat back down and started laughing with some other boy near him. I sat there for about one minute, building up my courage, before I went in a very clear and audible voice "Why would you throw a paper at me?".

He never pulled that crap again.

I was running on pure adrenaline for the entire day after that, hahaaa.

Though there are plenty of others I don't have the courage to stand up to, so the bullying still continues ..

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Opal Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Want to know what actually works? - September 30th 2010, 05:29 AM

You see? You know exactly what I'm talking about!

As for someone beating you, as far as I know most countries say that you are legally entitled to self defense using reasonable force, so the school really has no right to tell you that.

And as for being guilty - so what? Being nice to people who bully you will never get you anywhere, and I can tell you right now you will have to deal with bullies outside of school as well as inside, so dealing with bullies is really a skill that should be taught!

Closed Thread