TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Anxiety and Stress (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f205-anxiety-stress/)
-   -   Anxiety Attack? :/ (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f205-anxiety-stress/t123724-anxiety-attack/)

Elizabeth012898 September 16th 2013 10:43 PM

Anxiety Attack? :/

Earlier today my best friend told me she thinks I don't like her as a friend anymore. Seeing as we have been best friends since preschool, that made me really upset cause I feel like I'm a shitty friend. Then she spilled her soda on the floor and her mom started yelling. I felt the sudden to cry and scream. My heart started racing, I got a little shaky, and it felt like something was tightly wrapped around my chest making it hard for me to breathe and get enough air. My mom said it sounds like I started to have a panic attack. This happens when I get really upset. I don't know if it's just me being dramatic or not though.. Anyone have any ideas?

FrostCoatedHeart September 17th 2013 01:19 AM

Re: Anxiety Attack? :/

To me it does sound like an anxiety attack. I have them to sometimes, my heart races, I start to get a cold sweat and my hands feel cold. Her Mom yelling could've set you off, do these things happen to you a lot? Some things that work for people with anxiety are:
Squeezing a stress ball (that helps me) or breathing deeply. You just have to find what works for you. Feel better! :hug:

hocus pocus September 17th 2013 01:31 AM

Hi there!

This does sound like an anxiety attack. What Alexa said about a stress ball is pretty helpful. They key thing to focus on during panic or anxiety attacks is your breathing. Breath deep and even. Try to keep distracted. If we're in the car, for example, my brother and I will do something like count red cars until we reach a few hundred. I heard that keeping your gaze on a non moving object helps. You can also look around the room and lists as many uses for a particular object that you see. Lastly, the scent of lavender also helps. :hug:

FrostCoatedHeart September 17th 2013 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enchantment (Post 1065298)
Hi there!

This does sound like an anxiety attack. What Alexa said about a stress ball is pretty helpful. They key thing to focus on during panic or anxiety attacks is your breathing. Breath deep and even. Try to keep distracted. If we're in the car, for example, my brother and I will do something like count red cars until we reach a few hundred. I heard that keeping your gaze on a non moving object helps. You can also look around the room and lists as many uses for a particular object that you see. Lastly, the scent of lavender also helps. :hug:

Counting cars, I like that idea! I just learned stuff from you, thanks. :p