TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety and Stress This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
GLool Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,269, Level: 10 Points: 5,269, Level: 10 Points: 5,269, Level: 10

Anxiety - December 28th 2014, 03:48 PM

I'm kind of screwed. I have social anxiety disorder sadly so i saw a psychiatrist and he prescribed me 100 mg of Serqouel every night. It was working really well and i felt normal for once. My aunt removed the medication saying various things like it's for crazy people, it will make you stupid, you'll be a drug addict, etc. God damn I'm feeling anxiety right now and when i go to school I'm fucked. Help?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Anxiety - December 28th 2014, 11:58 PM

Firstly, I'm not sure how long you've been on this medication but to be on something like what you're on, and then to be removed from it very abruptly, can actually have the opposite effects of what it's supposed to help. If you can, explain this to your aunt, if you feel it won't or if you feel she'd need more of a professional explanation, see if you can meet with the psychiatrist you'd previously seen, explain the situation to them and go from there.

I've never had social anxiety disorder but I do get socially anxious, especially when there's a lot of people. I'm not so bad with people of a similar or younger age to me, but with people a lot older, I clam up really badly and just start panicking inside with all kinds of different thoughts. The same applies to online when talking to people in real-time. If I don' know anyone or people are all friendly with one another, it often makes me feel like I'd never be able to break into the circle and be equal to them.

Admittedly I have major problems with chatting in chatrooms. It's very rare that I visit this site's chatroom for the sole reason that I'm terribly socially anxious. For the times I'd visited, as much as I may appear chipper on the outside, I'm actually panicking and sitting in cold sweats to the point where I just leave without saying much or if anything at all. However, to combat this issue, I'd visit a little bit at a time, sometimes 5 minutes, 10 minutes or half an hour if I've got the courage. Once I've got to know the people in the room it doesn't become so bad and I'm able to stay there for a while, even if I don't talk very much. This is something you could try too. I'm not sure in which way you get social anxiety, but if it's anything similar to me, try saying one or two words to people, or sit closer to a group of people you feel are better than others whilst at school.

Don't forget that sometimes breathing exercises are also good. When you start feeling anxious or as if you can't talk, try to clear your mind as much as possible, think about something that makes you feel happy, or a nice open space of calm. Breath in gently through your nose and out through your mouth, do this for about 5-6 times and see how you feel. Over-thinking about the situation you're in won't help either and will only add to your anxiety. As much as it's difficult to try and clear your mind of what's going on or whatever negative thoughts may be running through your mind at that moment in time, remember, think of something you find calming. Close your eyes for a short while if it helps and don't think you look silly whilst doing it. If anyone asks why your eyes are closed, say you have eye strain or something similar.
Closed Thread