TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety and Stress This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Elenamank Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 3,959, Level: 9 Points: 3,959, Level: 9 Points: 3,959, Level: 9

Exclamation Does zoloft work for anxiety? - September 14th 2016, 11:14 PM

I am 17, and have just started my final year in highschool. I have gone to school 3/6 of the days because of how bad my anxiety has been. I am being forced to attend for the rest of the week, since my parents don't understand how bad my depersonalization is. I have been on zoloft 25mg for 5 days now and am switching to 50mg in 2 days. I really need to here that this medicine will work, because I can't continue feeling like this anymore. So far I have not had any bad side effects from the medicine other than some stomach pain, but I am willing to deal with this as long as I can be certain this medicine will work. I am in a lot of mental pain and really need advice.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
Article Editor

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36

Re: Does zoloft work for anxiety? - September 15th 2016, 03:05 AM

Hi there,

Medication tends to be beneficial to most people. However, some medications work for some people and different ones work for other people. So if Zoloft works for someone, it might not necessarily work for you. I have been on about 20 different medications/medication combinations (I'm Bipolar). All you can really do is hope that it does work for you.

Another thing, some medications take four weeks for you to start feeling the full effect of the medication. I recently had a medication go from 10 mg-40 mg each week for 4 weeks. I only had a little bit of side effects since I started at such a low dose. I'm hoping that's the case for you. Side effects tend to suck.

I really hope that Zoloft works for you. I know how stressful having anxiety that is so bad that you can't attend school/work. Just keep your chin up and have faith that you will find the right medication that helps you.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can do anything else for you.
Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

Article Editor
Social Media Guru|Live Help Mentor|HelpLINK Mentor
Chat Moderator|Forum Moderator(Young at Heart)
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59

Re: Does zoloft work for anxiety? - September 15th 2016, 01:20 PM

Hey,

I was on Zoloft for my anxiety for a while before I switched to a medication that is more effective for me. So yes, Zoloft is used for the treatment of anxiety and it can work in a lot of people.

However, everybody is different and sometimes it is a matter of trial and error to find the right dose of medication for you as well as the right type. What may work for one person may not work for another.

The important thing is that you continue to meet with the prescriber regularly to discuss what your experiences are. That way they'll be able to check and see if whether the medication is working for you or not and make adjustments if needed.

Best of luck!

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34

Re: Does zoloft work for anxiety? - September 15th 2016, 03:57 PM

Hey there,

I agree with the other responses but just wanted to ask, are you in counselling or therapy at all? Medication can be really helpful to lower your anxiety, but therapy and sometimes lifestyle changes can also help when you are trying to manage anxiety.

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
Closed Thread