TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety and Stress This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Odyne Offline
The Goddess Of Pain
I've been here a while

Name: Lucy

Every day - September 30th 2019, 03:17 PM

Hi <3
I'm suffering from panic-attacks, and I get some meds against it
But lately it happens EVERY day. Sometimes more times a day.
And I really don't know what to do.
I can't buy anything or be in a store, without getting very anxious.

Any good ideas? What helps you?

Good day,
Hugs Lucy

private message & visitor message
I'm here for you, if you need to talk.

“I am beginning to measure myself in strength, not pounds. Sometimes in smiles.”
Laurie Halse Anderson, Wintergirls

(#2 (permalink)) Old
An Inspiration For The Broken
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mark

Re: Every day - September 30th 2019, 06:57 PM

I imagine you might get different answers on this but have you ever thought to sit down with yourself and ask yourself questions? Not lousy ones (i.e. "why me?" "why is this happening to me?"), but more so like these kinds of questions:

"How am I feeling right now?"

"If I'm not feeling well right now, what's causing me to feel this way?"

Meds can only do so much, but they don't really get rid of the source of the problem. They may temporarily relieve you, but they don't make your problem go away. You need to understand how your mind works, and how you can control it because the truth is you can control what's going on inside your head.

I may not know you personally, but I imagine something internally is going on inside you that's causing you to feel that way, and if you don't take the time to address that, it will consume you.

Don't be afraid to ask for some help if you can't do it alone. If you feel like you need someone like a therapist to help you out, don't be ashamed to go ahead and do that for yourself.

Take better care of yourself. Every day doesn't always have to be a tragedy.

“The main thing is realizing that even if you feel terrible for a while, that’s not how you’re going to feel the whole time. . . . Things change if you just keep moving.” - Gary Vaynerchuk

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Odyne Offline
The Goddess Of Pain
I've been here a while

Re: Every day - October 1st 2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusadingAvenger View Post
I imagine you might get different answers on this but have you ever thought to sit down with yourself and ask yourself questions? Not lousy ones (i.e. "why me?" "why is this happening to me?"), but more so like these kinds of questions:

"How am I feeling right now?"

"If I'm not feeling well right now, what's causing me to feel this way?"

Meds can only do so much, but they don't really get rid of the source of the problem. They may temporarily relieve you, but they don't make your problem go away. You need to understand how your mind works, and how you can control it because the truth is you can control what's going on inside your head.

I may not know you personally, but I imagine something internally is going on inside you that's causing you to feel that way, and if you don't take the time to address that, it will consume you.

Don't be afraid to ask for some help if you can't do it alone. If you feel like you need someone like a therapist to help you out, don't be ashamed to go ahead and do that for yourself.

Take better care of yourself. Every day doesn't always have to be a tragedy.
Hi Thanks for your reply.
You're right, it's just hard to find myself in this mess.
But I'm really trying!

“I am beginning to measure myself in strength, not pounds. Sometimes in smiles.”

(#4 (permalink)) Old
An Inspiration For The Broken
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mark

Re: Every day - October 1st 2019, 06:49 PM

I understand it's hard, but stop trying. Figure out what you need to do from here, and just do it.

“The main thing is realizing that even if you feel terrible for a while, that’s not how you’re going to feel the whole time. . . . Things change if you just keep moving.” - Gary Vaynerchuk

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Odyne Offline
The Goddess Of Pain
I've been here a while

Re: Every day - October 3rd 2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusadingAvenger View Post
I understand it's hard, but stop trying. Figure out what you need to do from here, and just do it.
You're right.
Luckely I have a lot of support

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Every day - October 6th 2019, 08:46 PM

Sorry to hear you have been having panic attacks a lot recently.

It's good that you got medication (and I hope that works a bit) but as Mark said, medication unfortunately doesn't solve everything. Have you had therapy for anxiety/panic attacks before? You might want to look into breathing techniques and mindfulness to help. There are lots of breathing techniques that you can find only- for example, try taking a deep breath in for 3 seconds, holding for 3 seconds, and breathe out for 3 seconds and repeat until you feel calmer. You can also try to pay attention to things that you can see, hear, touch, smell, taste etc. Remember that as horrible as panic attacks may feel, they are harmless!

It's awful when anxiety gets in the way of our life. You mention that you can't buy anything or even go into a store without getting a panic attack. Is there something in particular that causes you to feel anxious about going to a store? It can be tempting to start avoiding stores so that you don't get panic attacks but sometimes it can help to do some exposure therapy instead- slowly exposing yourself to the situation that creates anxiety. For example, walking to the store and just staying outside, maybe looking into the store and notice how you feel. Once you feel more comfortable doing this, on a separate occasion, you can try going into the store and just spending a short amount of time (a few minutes, perhaps) in the store. You may feel anxious but try to stay there. Keep doing this until you feel less anxious and then you can work up to staying in the store longer, and building up to buying things. It may take a while, but eventually you'll realise the anxiety will lessen and you can spend longer in the store without feeling anxious. You can also get someone to go with you until you feel more comfortable to be in the store yourself. Just take your time and take small steps to conquering the anxiety!

HelpLINK/Live Help Officer | Click here to volunteer

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Odyne Offline
The Goddess Of Pain
I've been here a while

Re: Every day - October 14th 2019, 12:20 PM

Thank you for your help <3
I’ll try doing some of the stuff you suggested.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Odyne Offline
The Goddess Of Pain
I've been here a while

Re: Every day - March 10th 2020, 03:55 PM

Still having anxiety attacks almost everyday, and I feel like it's getting worse and more intense

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Every day - March 12th 2020, 09:58 PM

Sorry to hear you are still having panic attacks and they seem to be getting worse. Is there anything that might've caused your panic attacks to get worse? For me, I have felt that my panic attacks get worse when I am worrying about having a panic attack, and then I do, and then it's a cycle where I worry about it happening again etc. Remember, as horrible as they feel, they are harmless.

Do you know of ways you can try to calm down when you start feeling anxious? It might help to practice things like deep breathing or mindfulness or have a distraction when you can feel the anxiety building so that it can help you to calm down a bit.

Is it possible to talk to a professional and maybe have medication to help deal with the anxiety?

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Odyne Offline
The Goddess Of Pain
I've been here a while

Re: Every day - March 13th 2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celyn View Post
Sorry to hear you are still having panic attacks and they seem to be getting worse. Is there anything that might've caused your panic attacks to get worse? For me, I have felt that my panic attacks get worse when I am worrying about having a panic attack, and then I do, and then it's a cycle where I worry about it happening again etc. Remember, as horrible as they feel, they are harmless.

Do you know of ways you can try to calm down when you start feeling anxious? It might help to practice things like deep breathing or mindfulness or have a distraction when you can feel the anxiety building so that it can help you to calm down a bit.

Is it possible to talk to a professional and maybe have medication to help deal with the anxiety?
Hi <3
I dont know, I just get panic attacks every time I'm outside the house, and often just out of the blue.
I just think I'm gonna die, so bad is it.

I'm getting help and I'm already on medication for the anxiety.
But sometimes it just doesnt help.

Thanks for your reply. Means a lot to me

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Every day - March 15th 2020, 10:13 PM

Sorry to hear that medication/help isn't particularly helpful to you at the moment.

Panic attacks are horrid and I remember when I used to have them and felt like I was going to die. But you won't, try to remember that.

Sometimes panic attacks can come out of the blue, and it can help to spend time trying to calm down and ground yourself. When there is a trigger, such as being outside of the house, it can help to follow techniques such as exposure therapy. This means starting off small and only spending small amounts of time outside, allowing you to feel calmer, and then building up to spending longer amounts of time outside. Try not to avoid going outside completely as this may mean you get stuck in the cycle of avoidance.

Hang in there