TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety and Stress This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
JessaMay Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,628, Level: 10 Points: 4,628, Level: 10 Points: 4,628, Level: 10

Having flying panic attacks - March 21st 2021, 03:48 AM

I am going to be flying across the country in April and I will not be able to bring my esa dog with me and I am freaking out. My flight is 3 weeks away and every time I think about the trip, I get major panic attacks. What can I do? Do you think I can get an exception from the airlines since I really need it?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Having flying panic attacks - March 21st 2021, 11:40 AM

I would get in contact with them and discuss their situation. Surely if they knew more about what's going on, they'd at least be aware of the situation. Even if you're not allowed to bring the dog aboard, airline staff could be made aware of your panic attacks so in the event one happens, they can be there to offer assistance. We also have an article on panic attacks here with some coping strategies and methods of prevention that may be of use to you.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Arabesque- golfing girl. Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance❤️

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Emmie🦋

Points: 109,154, Level: 47 Points: 109,154, Level: 47 Points: 109,154, Level: 47

Re: Having flying panic attacks - March 21st 2021, 12:59 PM

Hello,

I am so sorry that you are having a hard time with this right now and hope that you will be okay soon. When you are thinking about flying across country and this is upsetting you, try to get your mind off of this so that you will be okay. Going for a walk or listening to music or watching movies or TV shows that can help pick you up or drawing or painting or calling a friend or doing something else that you enjoy doing. When you are getting ready to leave for this, have on a outfit that helps calm you, a hoodie or shoes so you can focus on this when you are having a hard time. See about getting a fidget spinner or bring a book or a small notebook that you can draw or write in, this can also help you out too. Like what was said up about talk to them before getting on and asked if they can look out for you. Try to count to five and take a few big deep breaths. I hope that you will be okay soon. Hugs to help.

•Forums Officer
•HelpLINK Moderator
•Community Moderator•
Article Writer
•Resource Editor
•Newsletter Editor
• Social Media Guru.

"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat,
It’s the rhythm
of your life.

It’s the expression
in time and movement,

in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques d’Ambroise''
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: Having flying panic attacks - March 21st 2021, 09:32 PM

Hey

As a nervous plane passenger myself I sympathise with your situation, and I'm sorry you can't bring your ESA dog with you for reassurance and support. I agree with the post above in that contacting the airline/airport is a good idea as there might be procedures they can put in place to make the journey more managable for you. If nothing else, they can provide you with a timeline for your journey, and take away the unpredictability as much as possible, which might in some way ease the anxiety you're having at the moment. I know they can't take away all causes of anxiety, but this might at least allieviate some of it.

I think accepting how you feel is important, because the anxiety is there and you're aware that it will likely be there when you travel. The best thing to do is bring with you as many distractions as you can so that you can manage the anxiety best as you're travelling. Emma gave some brilliant suggestions, especially with the activities and distractions which involve engaging your hands and brain, like fidget spinners and writing. For me, when I was flying, I made sure I had headphones to wear which blocked out as much noise from the plane as possible too, and this helped me to not be constantly aware of the fact I was flying. I also bought sweets with me which involved some work to eat, such as chewy sweets or gum. Hard boiled ones helped too because they last longer, and it might give you something to use to ground yourself if you do start to panic. You can focus on the texture of the sweet, the taste, the smell, the sound of the wrapper. It's small, but it might give you enough to engage your mind that it at least eases the panic if that happens. It also might help to find out if you have a choice of seat, and to think about where you feel would be least stressful for you. For me, sitting by the window helped because I had something visual to focus on, and it was the part of the trip which I enjoyed most. But if this seems like it might cause you more stress, find out if there is an aisle seat you can have. That way, if you need to get up and move around, you're free from blockages, and you don't need to look out the window all the time if that makes you feel worse. Weight it up, and if there is a way you can choose a seat preference, maybe get in touch with someone and find out about doing so.

I also think it's worthwhile asking about an exception from the airlines. I think rules about this will vary depending on who you fly with, but making some calls or sending some e-mails won't hurt. If it is a no, and you can't bring your ESA dog with you, come prepared with distractions, but if it is a yes, then asking would be worth it.

I hope your flight goes well and is better than you're hoping for right now. I understand your anxiety, and I know that going alone will be very stressful, but I really hope you get through it okay. If you need anything feel free to message me any time. You've got this.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
JessaMay Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Having flying panic attacks - March 22nd 2021, 04:35 PM

Thank you for all of your replies, resources, and well wishes. I am looking to maybe qualify my dog as a service dog or a psychiatric service dog to help with my anxiety/panic attacks. I have trained my dog to ground me when I have my attacks already so I just need to make sure that we qualify. I am currently looking into getting a service dog letter here (I got my esa from the same place) and will report back with my progress. I really appreciate all of y'all on this forum.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
JessaMay Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Having flying panic attacks - March 22nd 2021, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everglow. View Post

I also think it's worthwhile asking about an exception from the airlines. I think rules about this will vary depending on who you fly with, but making some calls or sending some e-mails won't hurt. If it is a no, and you can't bring your ESA dog with you, come prepared with distractions, but if it is a yes, then asking would be worth it.
I tried calling them (Southwest Airlines) and asking for an exception but they said that was not possible. I also called Spirit and Frontier and they both denied my request as well. Looking into qualifying as a service dog or psych service dog now.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Having flying panic attacks - March 22nd 2021, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessaMay View Post
Thank you for all of your replies, resources, and well wishes. I am looking to maybe qualify my dog as a service dog or a psychiatric service dog to help with my anxiety/panic attacks. I have trained my dog to ground me when I have my attacks already so I just need to make sure that we qualify. I am currently looking into getting a service dog letter here (I got my esa from the same place) and will report back with my progress. I really appreciate all of y'all on this forum.
Fingers crossed that your dog gets qualified! It's really crappy that they rejected your request like that. I guess they don't see how valuable they can be to a person. -_-
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Sprite-1 Offline
Banned
Average Joe

Name: Tommy

Points: 3,066, Level: 8 Points: 3,066, Level: 8 Points: 3,066, Level: 8

Re: Having flying panic attacks - March 23rd 2021, 04:36 PM

A single size weighted blanket soothes away even severe anxiety and would be useful onboard the plane because flights do get chilly. My boyfriend has one, so do I and I think both my sisters do, too.

Maybe you could ask your doctor to prescribe you a small course of medicine that effectively lowers anxiety? Explain to your physician. I'm sure they will help.

The cabin stewards are highly experienced with anxious panicky passengers. If you contact your flight company, they will even arrange for someone to accompany you at check-in and see you onboard. The cabin crew will then take over.

I've flown many times and though I don't like flying, that was my experience. And my weighted blanket came with me. It's easily rolled up, so hardly takes any space at all in your carry-on.

The advice here is very good, but please keep asking for help, because many will always be here for you, like they have me.

Tommy.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Re: Having flying panic attacks - March 23rd 2021, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessaMay View Post
I tried calling them (Southwest Airlines) and asking for an exception but they said that was not possible. I also called Spirit and Frontier and they both denied my request as well. Looking into qualifying as a service dog or psych service dog now.
I'm so sorry they rejected your request. I think it would be the best thing to register your dog as an ESA, so you have evidence that she is accompanying you on the plane to provide support. There has also been incidences where pets have not made the whole flight and the airlines worry that is a liability issue. This is another reason to get your dog registered as an ESA.

I'm always anxious during flying, I hate it! I always try to find something to focus on immediately; and the little TV screens always help, even if you can't hook up the audio. I watch it silently; and if it's a show I am familiar with or have a vague idea of the plot, I can still go along and enjoy it. Fortunately, every time I've flown in recent years, airplane tv have played shows I enjoy...

It's usually Friends.

Perhaps ask the attendant for water, but always wait until ascent has stopped, the plane is at its max altitude, and then ask the attendant for water. I would avoid anything with carbonation, such as soda. You could also ask for several bags of chips, pretzel, or a trail mix; this might even help with pressure building up inside your ears.

I wish you all the best with the upcoming flight.
Closed Thread