TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety and Stress This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PlutoTheOpposum Offline
Lyl
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lyl
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 2,216, Level: 7 Points: 2,216, Level: 7 Points: 2,216, Level: 7

Is it anxiety? - June 17th 2022, 01:40 PM

Is it normal to be really nervous in groups? I'm absolutely terrified that people will judge me. I'm also really nervous at home, too for whatever reason. I'm constantly scared someone will find out my secrets, find my vent drawings, find this website, etc.

AAAAh is this normal?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Arabesque- golfing girl. Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance❤️

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Emmie🦋

Points: 108,862, Level: 47 Points: 108,862, Level: 47 Points: 108,862, Level: 47

Re: Is it anxiety? - June 17th 2022, 04:29 PM

Hello,

Yes it is normal to be nervous in big or small groups or around people who you do not know or you have never been to this place before. This is a normal feeling to have. Everyone feels this from time to time. When you have to go to places like this, try to wear your favorite pair of shoes or shirt or something else that can help calm you down. Also when you are talking, you can just try talking to them for a few minutes and see how this goes and try a little bit longer next time. You just say what you have been going through and listen to everyone else and the people who are running this. You can even bring a notebook and read something that you wrote down that you would like to tell them. I wish you the best with this and hope that this goes well for you.

•Forums Officer
•HelpLINK Moderator
•Community Moderator•
Article Writer
•Resource Editor
•Newsletter Editor
• Social Media Guru.

"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat,
It’s the rhythm
of your life.

It’s the expression
in time and movement,

in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques d’Ambroise''
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Panda Solo Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Not a n00b

Name: Leah

Points: 8,301, Level: 13 Points: 8,301, Level: 13 Points: 8,301, Level: 13

Re: Is it anxiety? - August 16th 2022, 12:52 AM

Hello there,

To answer your question, yes, it is normal to feel anxious occasionally when you are in a group where you may or may not know all the people. And I really want to assure you that almost everyone in a group will feel somewhat the same, but they choose to react differently. You could first start with going to a group with some close friends, and observe other people’s reactions to see if they are really observing you or judging you. In most cases, people will glance at you when you first arrive, then they will get on their own business pretty soon. A good way to de-anxious in a group is to focus on the fun and interesting parts of the event.
If someone in the group is really rude and actually judges you, don’t worry, it is the wonderful and scarce moment for you to practice “I don’t care about how you judge me, and why you judge me; my value will not be degraded by others’ judgement and no one can ruin my day! ”

Secondly, it is also normal for us to feel anxious for others to find out our secrets. Sometimes secrets are what we value so much that we hide them from other people including close ones, because we feel not ready yet or not necessary to share them with others at current moments. If you fear what they might say or do to you, you could talk to them about want to have your own space and secrets respected. You don’t have to share your secrets with anyone if you don’t want to, but we need to consider the situation when our close family members are simply worried about us being in a alienated and dangerous situation; in this case, you could talk to them vaguely about what you are doing, like “ I am talking with my peers on an anonymous website where we help each other and share our life experiences “, and clearly express your opinion that you want your own space and independence respected.

I hope you find peace and assurance soon.
Closed Thread