TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
blondiegirl Offline
Blondie Girl
Not a n00b

Name: Blondie Girl

Unhappy Anxiety issues - April 20th 2009, 08:17 PM

Recently ive been getting all the symptoms of suffering from anxiety, bascially ive never really been an angry or overally stressed person but just these past few weeks, probabaly because my exams are getting closer and friend and love life worries and everything but ive just been very emotion, wanting to cry, then being extremley angry, and also very stressed. Im not usually like that but im pretty sure its anxiety.
Im going to make an appointment at the doctors and get some pills for it but my mum said i may not get an appointment for a week or so, any advice on how to try and keep calm untill then.
Thanks

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Person
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Anxiety issues - April 20th 2009, 08:36 PM

I have gotten anxiety attacks before and they are very scary. What helps me is writing down everything I'm thinking and everything that is bothering me. Breathing exercises help as well as calming music (I reccommend Simon and Garfunkel ). Take a nap, draw a picture, watch some tv. There are a lot of things you can do to make it easier on yourself. Hope that helped if you need anything, feel free to PM me ^^

Lawl.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Anxiety issues - April 20th 2009, 08:47 PM

I have anxiety issues. I get alot of panic attacks. Sometimes there can be a good 10 a day. They can be really hard to control, but you are the only one who can control them. When you feel your heart racing sit down get hold of something so you feel like yout still in the world and tell yourself, im in control. Everything is okay. You can evan pictur yourself in a happy place like the beach and close your eyes and imagine yourself laying on the sand with the beach, and nothing can go wrong because you are the only one there.
Pm me iff you want

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Anxiety issues - April 20th 2009, 09:49 PM

Everyone has anxiety, that is a normal part of life. Only when it starts to effect your day to day living does it become a problem. And quite honestly if this has only been happing the past few weeks, I am not sure that a doctor would prescribe you anything. Most times symptoms need to be lasting at least six months before they feel the anxiety is truly causing a disturbance in your life.
Now, going to the doctors when something is wrong is the right thing to do, but I don’t want you to think that you can go in there, tell them a few symptoms you have been having, and then hand over a prescription slip. If they were a truly good doctor, they would send you to a psychiatrist to get a psychological evaluation. And even then that might take a few sessions so that they can properly get the whole picture.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: Jessi

Re: Anxiety issues - April 21st 2009, 02:09 AM

Hey!

Anxiety can be very tough to cope with at times. I have found that making lists and schedules can help quite a bit; it's sort of like once you get your worries onto paper, you stop obsessing over them in your head. Remember to leave plenty of time for things when making schedules; if you take longer than planned, it may stress you out even more. Leave time for mistakes, schedule in breaks; make life easy on yourself!

Good luck, and let me know if you need anything.

[/url]
"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Through-Glass  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Sunshine☮ Offline
run til the sun burns out
Not a n00b

Name: Amber

Re: Anxiety issues - April 21st 2009, 03:09 AM

When I have anxiety I find it's good to do some yoga or exercise because it helps me relax. There are many different things to help you be more relaxed, including deep breathing and stuff. You just have to find what's best for you to relax.

However, I do agree with Lizzie. Anxiety is part of life, but it's only considered an anxiety disorder when it has a susbtantial impact on your life every day. I don't think the doctor should give you medication if you've only been stressed recently because it's probably just from your exams, not from an actual disorder.

formerly know as Dori

most of the shadows of this life are caused
by our standing in our own
sunshine

Send a message via MSN to Sunshine☮  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
blondiegirl Offline
Blondie Girl
Not a n00b

Name: Blondie Girl

Re: Anxiety issues - April 21st 2009, 01:36 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice, i think it would be better maybe to just keep something from boots for calming and wait to see if it works, if not or if i feel worse ill see a doctor then. But i think your right its probabaly best to just see how things go for a while

Closed Thread