TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ace Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Thanatophobia, fear of death - January 3rd 2014, 12:13 AM

Recently I've been struggling a lot going to sleep and indeed I now even get small panic attacks during the day. It freaks me out the thought of dying and no longer existing. Having studied Religion and Philosophy I'm pretty sure there isn't a God or if there is they aren't from any of our religions. I'm not looking to find faith I'm just looking for a way to have a normal life. It's been with me for years now.

I know the peptalk that worrying won't fix anything, not existing isn't so bad but damn I love my life, my family and my friends. I don't want it to end.

I'll write more when I can bring myself too it. But right now I'm afriad and it effecting my whole life.

Last edited by PSY; January 4th 2014 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Moved thread to the "Anxiety" sub-forum.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Chin up, buttercup.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emery

Re: Thanatophobia, fear of death - January 3rd 2014, 12:23 AM

Hi there,

First if all, welcome to TH! It's nice to have you here!
I'm Emery it's so nice to meet you!

I know how you feel. I'm a Christian, and believe God exists, but I still have a fear of death. Well, more of a fear of going to heaven or hell. Anyways, I would suggest something I call "living in the moment".
What I mean by that is enjoying each day while you have it. Each and every day only comes once, so why not live it to the fullest? If you focus more on living life one day at a time, and enjoying the activities, your friends, and family that come along with it, this might ease your paranoia about death.

A good idea would be to check out the chat rooms. There, you could talk to people here on the site and get other opinions about this fear. You might even meet some people that share your fear.

Hope I helped you!
Feel free to PM me if you ever wanna talk! I'm always here

I love you to the moon and back.

Darling you are the only exception. ~Paramore ♡

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Thanatophobia, fear of death - January 6th 2014, 02:07 AM

Hi There,

Welcome to TeenHelp!

I believe that fearing death is completely normal for a lot of people. The idea of no longer existing does scare people quite a bit, myself in cluded.
I really like Emery's idea of living in the moment and focusing on each day as it comes.
I do think though that if you are starting to get panic attacks because of this fear and if it is affecting you drastically, you should try some relaxation techniques (you can find quite a few of them by researching online). You should also see about talking to a counselor or therapist about your fears because they can help you with the relaxation techniques and give you other suggestions about how to not let this fear control your life.
I hope this is helpful.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread