TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Max_99 Offline
Average Joe

Overcoming my PTSD - January 8th 2014, 03:31 AM

So, I've had PTSD since the age of about 10. I had been bullied very severely as a child for my sexual orientation, weight, and for reasons I'm not quite sure of. On top of that, I had a lot of home-issues that have sense resolved themselves.
Actually, I haven't been bullied in a little over 2 years, I'm a great student, and my family gets along great. I'm at a healthy weight. I live a great, "normal" life....except for the PTSD. I have panic attacks at random that are triggered by the most crazy things; driving down a certain road, seeing a truck, shopping, etc. In school, I have such horrible anxiety. I constantly bite at my mouth and worry that I'm about to be attacked.

It's so frustrating because I know these past issues are 100% resolved and not affecting me anymore directly, yet because of the PTSD, these things still haunt me. I've learned to control the panic attacks to some degree...

How do I overcome PTSD? How can I take control of my emotions, fears, memories? Is there any way to treat/manage or cure PTSD? I'm tired of living like this and I just want to enjoy my life the way I should.

Last edited by PSY; January 8th 2014 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Moved thread to the Anxiety sub-forum.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Robin

Re: Overcoming my PTSD - January 8th 2014, 06:53 AM

I'm so sorry that you're struggling with these symptoms - mental illness is a horrible thing to try and combat on your own. It sounds like your family members are very supportive, so why not tell them about the issues you're dealing with? There are plenty of mental health professionals who specialize in the treatment of PTSD, and your parents would be able to connect you with those professionals. Many mental health professionals accept insurance plans, and there are also mental health professionals in training (e.g., interns and trainees) who frequently offer lower fees to clients. If you're not sure where to start, then visiting your regular doctor/physician/GP may not be a bad idea, as s/he can provide you with a referral and rule out general medical conditions that can cause or enhance these symptoms.

Closed Thread