TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
taylor_4150 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

please help me! - February 23rd 2014, 03:55 PM

okay so i did something really stupid. I threatened to kill someonene through a text. And I got arrested for it. I have a record now and i know i have to go to court, but what happens next? this is the first time i have done anything like this but im scared about how im going to get punished. Juvie? i dont know. But can someone please help me and tell me what could happen to me?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: please help me! - February 23rd 2014, 04:23 PM

Hi there,

The laws might vary depending on where you are, but if one perceives the offence as what you've described, it'll most likely result in a restraining order, if anything, and the offence will remain on your record. I somehow doubt you will be sent to a juvenile detention centre, based on what you've said. You haven't suggested anything that would make it warrant a more severe punishment, from what I know, but the nature of the text(s) you sent might change that.

I hope everything goes okay.

Gareth
  Send a message via Skype™ to Catharsis. 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Awakening Offline
L’amore vince sempre
Average Joe

Re: please help me! - February 23rd 2014, 04:42 PM

Hey Taylor,

I don't know all that much about court or criminal justice or anything like that since I've never dealt with it before. But personally I'm assuming you're not going to get a very extreme sentence for threatening someone through text. I suppose it would depend on the circumstances, but it doesn't seem like something you'd go to juvie or have too serious of a consequence for.

It sounds like this is the first time you've done anything like this, so you don't have anything else on your record. I think that will definitely help you, because seeing that you're not a bad kid and that things like this don't happen regularly will probably convince them to give you a lighter sentence. You might have to pay a fine or they might put you on probation or something like that. I really don't know. But I honestly doubt it will be anything too serious.

In my state minor crimes you've committed as a juvenile can be erased from your record when you turn 18. I don't know if this applies everywhere, but it might be something you could ask about. I really don't see why this would need to stay on your record for life. And even if it did, it's a small crime so I don't think it would affect you very much.

Try not to be too anxious about this. Anxiety makes everything more difficult to deal with, so just try your best to stay calm. I know it's a scary situation but I'm sure that you'll get through it just fine. I'm sorry you're having to experience this but I hope that it goes well for you and that everything turns out okay. Good luck

(#4 (permalink)) Old
taylor_4150 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: please help me! - February 23rd 2014, 07:16 PM

what is probation exactly?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Awakening Offline
L’amore vince sempre
Average Joe

Re: please help me! - February 23rd 2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor_4150 View Post
what is probation exactly?
Probation is basically being supervised but not having to go to jail. You're given certain rules you have to follow, depending on the crime you committed, and you have to check in with a probation officer periodically to make sure that you've been following them. The rules could be a curfew or having to do community service work or something. If you violate the rules of your probation then you get sent to jail. But if what happened is as minor as you described it then I doubt they'll put you on probation, people that I've known who have ended up on probation were usually put on it for reasons like getting into fights or getting caught with marijuana or something. There's probably other crimes that could get you put on probation but yours really doesn't sound that serious, like I said before.

Closed Thread