TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
abitor Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Abigail Torres

Unhappy Anxious Abigail - May 4th 2014, 08:03 PM

As a few people know I have a colossal amount of anxiety. It's not like anxiety about if I'm going to get a good grade on my math test, it's more like every one is laughing at me or someone is going to make fun of me. I have been diagnosed with social anxiety agoraphobia and OCD. I have to go to a councelor and a psychiatrist. When I have a panic attack it goes something like this: nausea, dizziness, shallow breathing, increased heart-rate, my sight goes in and out, and I shake vigorously. When I think someone is talking about me or laughing at me thins usually happens. But, when I tell Susana that I suspect that someone is snickering behind my back she asks, " How do you know that the were laughing at you?" This makes me really made. since a lot of people have made fun or bullied quite a bit, it's sort of acquired a sort of six-sense that lets me know when I'm being made fun of. Does anyone know how I can have more confidence and a better self-esteem? So that when someone does laugh at me I can have a snappy come-back...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Eljoria Offline
I'mAlwaysHereHelping. (:
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jade

Re: Anxious Abigail - May 5th 2014, 01:28 PM

Hey,
Wow you are in the situation I was in! If you like, you can always Private Message me; but what I can do is, try to ignore the bullying/commenting/snickering, trust me I had it for 7 years and when I kept all the confidence I have built over those years I finally shown my light and they shut the hell up and left me alone, and guess what? I focused on all my studies and passed them all when they passed half of it. Trust me, I know it all. What I can say for you to do is just focus on studies and stick to TRUE friends, learn ways to avoid such as if they laugh when you see them laugh, look at them as if they were stupid like check them out in scoff way if you get me? it does get easier in time.

Hope I helped.

Jay

Live the life.
  Send a message via MSN to Eljoria  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Anxious Abigail - May 7th 2014, 02:45 PM

Hi,

I understand somewhat where you are coming from. I have never been diagnosed with any anxiety disorders. I do know what it is like though to feel like people were laughing at me and to be isolated from everyone else. That is pretty much how my middle and high school years were. I cannot say I have an answer that will be able to help you specifically but I think you should keep talking to your counselor and psychiatrist. Is Suzanna your counselor or psychiatrist? I know when they ask me those types of questions (or when people in general do) I hate it as well because I do not know how to answer because I do not really understand myself. I think though you should explain as best as you can though, they really want to help you but since your anxiety is within you, it is hard for them to understand it and how it makes you feel and what your panic attacks are like unless you explain. it is hard and scary but the more you open up, the more help you can receive.
Also, searching online for breathing exercises you can do when you get anxious might be helpful. They will not just help right away. You have to keep practicing them. Start using them in a place you get low levels of anxiety and then increase to using them in school and at other places. Over time, you should be somewhat calmer.
Another thing you can do is create positive instead of negative views about your situation. For instance, instead of "they are laughing at me or about me", keep thinking, "They are laughing about something they are talking about and not me." It takes time and the help of others but you can reduce this anxiety.
Lastly, You can join activities with others that have similar interests as you. Do you enjoy writing, sports or other things? If so, you can find clubs or activities through your school where you can do these things and this can help you connect with people.
I really hope this reply has been helpful and that things improve for you.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread