TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Is there a light at the end of this? :( - August 30th 2014, 06:43 PM

I have generalised anxiety disorder (was FINALLY diagnosed with something a few months ago) and I'm just sick of constantly feeling on edge and worrying. I don't even remember what "normal" feels like anymore.

I'm on medication (Sertraline and Mirtazapine) which are helpful but I'm still not quite right.

I've had C.B.T. which was a joke. My therapist was so condescending it was unbelievable. I KNOW my thoughts are irrational but that doesn't stop me from having them.

I've recently discovered that my anxiety is probably related to my Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (I was diagnosed with this when I was two):

Quote:
Hypermobility and Anxiety
The body’s tendency to overreact to stresses by making too much adrenaline can lead others to think that hypermobile people are “too sensitive,” “irritable,” or “anxious.” Patients themselves may notice this, saying, “I’ve always overreacted to little things. I can’t help it.” It is very important to recognize two things about this phenomenon. First, it is a physical reaction, so that counseling usually will not be effective in treating this type of anxiety. Similarly, adrenaline highs and lows may be mistaken for the mood fluctuations of bipolar disorder, but mood-stabilizing medications usually are not indicated. When medication is required, beta blockers, which block adrenaline, may be as effective with fewer side effects than SSRI’s like Prozac and Lexapro or benzodiazepines like Xanax and Valium. Second, while a feeling of anxiety can be produced by emotional stress, it is just as likely that such symptoms have a physical cause, most often fatigue, pain, or dehydration, and less commonly by a drop in blood sugar or blood pressure. Not surprisingly, researchers have found that anxiety and panic disorder are more common in hypermobile people.
http://www.dynakids.org/Documents/hypermobility.pdf

Yay -___- Least I know I know WHY therapy didn't seem to work too well for me.

I'm just sick of feeling the way I do I want to be positive and hopeful but I just can't be.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: Is there a light at the end of this? :( - August 31st 2014, 01:34 AM

Hey there!

I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling. Hopefully you can figure out a way to manage this better. Maybe talking to your doctor might help and they can possibly adjust medication or something? They seem to pretty much constantly come out with new medications and research findings so I'm sure this can get figured out soon! I know it's tough but just hang in there, things can get better!

Can't stop now, I've traveled so far. - Foreigner

I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance. - Garth Brooks

Assoc Live Help Mentor from 11/23/2014-1/17/2015, 8/8/2015-

Live Help Mentor from 1/17/2015-8/8/2015

SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Is there a light at the end of this? :( - September 1st 2014, 01:00 AM

Hi There,

This would make sense bbecause many of the body systems are connected in some way or another.
Talking to your doctor could be helpful. Maybe they can prescribe you a different medication to try other than what you are taking and suggest lifestyle changes (if any) that you can make to help with this.
If you have not discussed the connection of hypermobility to anxiety with your doctor than I suggest you do so.
Have you tried any whollistic therapies? Like massage therapy, music therapy, art therapy etc.? These therapies are known to help people struggling with a wide variety of both physical and mental issues that are connected to each other.
I know you mentioned that CBT did not go well but could that be because the therapist was condescending? Not all therapists are like that and maybe you would have a better experience with a therapist that is not that way.
I hope this is helpful and that you can get some relief from GAD.
Take care and you can message if you would like.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Is there a light at the end of this? :( - September 1st 2014, 07:28 PM

Thanks both <3 I've actually printed out that pdf before and showed it to my GP, he looked at it and just said it was "interesting" I really need to stop hinting things to him and just tell him what I think it going on >.> I don't want to come across as arrogant and knowing more than him on E.D.S.

I'm meant to be referred to a psychiatrist. I just haven't heard anything about that for months :/

Thanks both <3 It's good to know that I can post whatever here <3

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Lillibette Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Is there a light at the end of this? :( - September 5th 2014, 07:44 AM

I think if you bring it up directly, it wouldn't come off as condescending? Because you'd just be telling him what's on your mind? He might not have realized what you were hinting at with showing him the PDF.

Is there a way you could ask about that psychiatrist referral? Like asking someone "hey so I was meant to be referred, what's going on with that?"

Please use fae or they pronouns in reference to me.
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Closed Thread