TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

panicking. please help - October 19th 2014, 11:30 PM

I'm doing my thesis proposal. (I'm a Psychology student.) It was due in twenty minutes ago. I'm still utterly lost with it. The whole thing has been a mental block since the start and I still don't really know what I'm doing.

I've been trying to fight down panic attacks for the last few hours. I'm trying to control my breathing, think rationally, keep trying to get through it. I feel like I'm going crazy. I can't think. I can't breathe. I have to present this to my lecturer tomorrow afternoon. This is probably the worst situation I've ever been in with an assignment. I'm trying to keep doing it but I keep panicking, it's not a matter of pushing through and getting it done so much as figuring out what needs to be done.

I don't know if I'm going to scream or cut myself. I can't breathe. I don't know what to do.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: panicking. please help - October 20th 2014, 11:07 AM

Hey there,

Sorry for the late reply. How are you feeling now? Have you presented your proposal yet?

I remember when I had to do my proposal- I honestly didn’t have a clue what I was doing and thought that everyone else knew exactly what they were doing. I had a rough idea of what I wanted to do, but the finer details which I would get questioned on, I had no clue.

I think for a mental block, it’s best to take 5. Clear your head of anything and everything and do something that relaxes you. Take your mind off it for a bit. When you feel calmer, go back to it. It might help to read around your area of research, perhaps to get some ideas flowing.

I’m glad you were trying to calm yourself down during the panic attacks. If you feel that you can’t, as hard and scary as it is, try to just go with it. It’s only a panic attack, and as horrible as it feels, it will pass and you will be ok.

For any assignment, but particularly for a thesis, it’s best to write down things in an order, so you know what stuff needs to be prioritised and what can wait. Then pick an area and try to focus on it. Also, it’s ok to ask your lecturer for help and for their opinion!

If you feel like this often, it might be a good idea to talk to your university counsellor, if you haven’t already had counselling.

Take care

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I can’t help, I’m always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: panicking. please help - October 20th 2014, 06:01 PM

Thanks so much - don't worry, I knew I probably wouldn't get a reply til today.
I eventually decided to just go to sleep as I had to get up for a job orientation this morning, and I finished off the assignment today. We had to present our idea to the class which I'd been nervous about but it seemed to go okay and a couple of people actually mentioned to me that it sounded like an interesting topic. It turned out a lot of my classmates were very stressed last night as well and a few of us handed them in late.

I just handed in the assignment there - eighteen hours late, but the extra time I was able to take and work on it was definitely worth losing ten percent of a grade. I just hated the panic attacks I had last night - I came very close to self-harming and it felt horrible. But I feel a lot better now that the proposal is handed in.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: panicking. please help - November 1st 2014, 05:31 PM

Hey,

I am sorry for the rather late reply.
I am glad that things turned out well though. I find I tend to get worried and panic too when I have assignments similar to that due.
It can help to take breaks while you are working on the assignment and to remind yourself (as you realized when you finally got to class) that other people are stressed/worried about the assignment too.
I hope this helps or is in encouraging in some way and that things go well for the rest of your project.
Take care.
I am going to close this thread since the time period this is discussing is over and there are no further questions as of now. If you would like the thread re-opened, you can PM me.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread