TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LouLou7 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Smile Worried about starting Sertraline - November 24th 2014, 03:41 PM

Hey guys,
So I've recently been told I have anxiety and possible obsessional thought, and have just been prescribed sertraline. I feel really scared to start taking them as the side effects worry me and I'm concerned about what my family will think. Also as it's coming up to Christmas I don't want to feel horrible if side effects do come about, or if I have any alcohol.
Has anybody here been on sertraline who could make me feel better about this? Have a wonderful day everyone,
Thank you!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Worried about starting Sertraline - November 24th 2014, 06:11 PM

I am on Sertraline and have been for about a month, which is a substitute for Zoloft (so a lot of thee time I say I am on Zoloft). I'm on it for anxiety and mild depression.

Admittedly, I DID have some side effects when I first started but they weren't terrible. My side effects mainly were loss of appetite/nausea and when I first started I was a bit hyperactive. The hyperactivity passed within a day or two, and the loss of appetite/nausea passed mostly within a week. Of course, everyone is different though!

However, they do monitor you when you start taking it. I don't know how your prescriber did it, but mine had me meet with her about a week or two after starting, and then a week or two after that since she'd upped my dose, to make sure that I wasn't having any severe side effects. If I did have side effects, she'd have told me what to do or how to take care of it.

She did tell me that if I had any severe side effects such as suicidal thoughts to call her immediately.

So I think that as far as side effects, if you come up with any that are concerning to you, then definitely call your prescriber immediately! A lot of them WILL pass, but it's still best to check since every person is different.

On the side of my prescription bottle it says: May cause drowsiness. Alcohol may intensify this effect. Use care when operating a vehicle, vessel (e.g., boat), or machinery. So in other words don't drink and drive, and don't drink and operate heavy machinery. If you DO drink, though, I'd try and limit your intake and don't get drunk.

My family doesn't know, so I can't say much in the area of how they will take it. But if they love you and care about you, they may be supportive!

All in all though I am glad I started the medication because so far it has mostly helped me! I'm still not at the right dose yet, I don't THINK, but it's helping!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
LouLou7 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Worried about starting Sertraline - November 24th 2014, 06:44 PM

Thank you so much for your reply! It's good to hear from somebody who has taken this medication. You've made me feel a bit more relaxed, so thank you. I hope you continue to improve and feel better!

Closed Thread