TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I have the Millennium Puzzle
I can't get enough

Name: Calaer

Exclamation No longer a possibility. - September 5th 2015, 10:00 AM

Lately, my anxiety has been worse than normal. I've started taking medications for anxiety as well as seeing therapist, and I've been doing different things to keep me busy so I don't focus on it as much. Sadly, so far, nothing I'm doing is working. My anxiety (or so I think it's my anxiety) is starting to affect my sleeping habits. I struggle to get to sleep, and when I finally do, I wake up an hour later just to be awake for hours before I can go back to sleep, and then the cycle repeats it's self.

Is there anyone else who has dealt with with this before, that can give me advice? I've tried a calming tea (I drink herbal with no added sugars) I don't past 7pm, I've tried taking showers, reading, doing some light stretches, bubble baths, scented candles, counting, music. Nothing works! It's driving me nuts. Especially with Ava it's hard to get so little sleep and have so much to do the next day. I need help.

"One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful." ~Sigmund Freud

Send a message via Skype™ to Calaer 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
A glitch in the system.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: No longer a possibility. - September 5th 2015, 11:32 AM

Hey.

Before I start, I just want to say that I'm sorry you have to deal with this. I know how much anxiety can suck, especially when it feels like you're trying everything and nothing seems to be working. I have a couple of pieces of advice, which I'll outline below.

First, whatever you do, don't get discouraged. It can be really difficult to deal with anxiety like this on a daily basis, and it can be easy to fall into a mindset of 'nothing helps, why should I try'. But the thing is, until you've tried absolutely positively everything ever, you should keep trying. Also, I've noticed that most of what the methods you listed are fairly passive. As in, they're designed to calm you down rather than tire you out. So maybe it could help to do something more active? For example sometimes I have trouble sleeping if I haven't done enough activity during the day, so I try to exercise both my body and my mind. Perhaps earlier in the day you could make an effort to do something that occupies your mind more fully, so that you've effectively worn yourself out. Does that make sense?

Second, try not to overthink it. I've found that I'm a lot less likely to find something relaxing if I go into the activity with the expectation of it being so, because I'm always thinking things like 'I don't feel relaxed enough, why isn't it working, am I doing it wrong?' and of course that doesn't help. So when you try a relaxing activity, try to completely let go. Don't stress about it not being relaxing, just fully immerse yourself in whatever you're doing and let it work its magic.

You could also try thinking about where the anxiety's coming from. If you can pinpoint a rough starting date for it (or a point at which it seemed to become very noticeable) you might figure out what's causing it. And, of course, cover the basics: make sure you're eating right, try to get yourself into a schedule, get some exercise in every day. Also, it might help to rule out any non-anxiety causes as well, so if possible you might like to think about getting a check-up with your GP. Anxiety-like symptoms can be caused by more physical problems, so it's good to be clear about what you're dealing with.

I hope all of this helped, and feel free to get in touch or reply to this if you want to talk about it further.

Take care, and good luck!

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: J

Re: No longer a possibility. - September 5th 2015, 12:41 PM

Hey there,

I can understand the frustration where nothing you try seems to work. I agree with the above, mental and physical exercise can help. You said you have tried counting, my shrink told me to try counting down from one hundred in groups of threes which-if you suck at maths like me-strains you and tires you out quicker because you essentially give up at 88 exercise like push ups, sit ups or squats which can be done in sets are great to, if you do ten-twenty of them, lie down and see how you feel it should tire you out enough to put you out, if not, get up and do another set until you feel tired.

~M.W~

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I can't get enough

Re: No longer a possibility. - September 5th 2015, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll totally use it!

"One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful." ~Sigmund Freud

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: No longer a possibility. - September 11th 2015, 02:59 PM

I am glad that the previous replies have been helpful.
I can relate to this too.
Exhausting myself mentally helps a lot as well as exhausting myself physically.
Having a routine is great because then your body will adjust to waking and sleeping at the same time each day. It is not necessary to be exactly precise but be as close in time as possible so that your body can form a routine.
I did this towards the end of last semester (spring) and into summer and I found the routine quite helpful. However, at a point in summer I slipped into staying up late Etc. and I could tell my anxiety getting worse and how I feel about myself getting worse.
To combat this, I am readjusting myself back to the schedule that is helpful for me.
I know you mentioned that you have a daughter. Having a child can bring on a lot of stress. If possible, it may help you to have a night every coupe of weeks (or every week or once a month) where you leave her with a close family member for the night (as an example) so that you can have time for you to do waht you enjoy/time to rest in the evening.
You also mentioned medication. How long you have been on the medication could really affect how well it is working. If you have been on the medication only a couple of weeks, it will take more time for it to reach the full effect and even then you may need an increase in dose.
I hope this is helpful.
I have to run now but you can message me any time and I appologize if this post seems rushed.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I can't get enough

Re: No longer a possibility. - September 11th 2015, 09:03 PM

Leaving Ava with someone else isn't a possibility, and I've been on the medication for awhile now. Thanks for your advice.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
nouedis Offline
Not a n00b

Re: No longer a possibility. - September 11th 2015, 09:19 PM

My anxiety and depression has always been something I've had to combat. Over the last year I found Tianeptine to be one of the most helpful items I've come across during this "war with depression and anxiety". Tianeptine is actually a prescription drug in other parts of the world, so it isn't just some "psuedo-drug" but is actually an effective medication.

Last edited by Celyn; September 11th 2015 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Please do not post links to advertisements.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I can't get enough

Re: No longer a possibility. - September 11th 2015, 09:20 PM

Thank you!

Closed Thread