TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Going outside at night - December 10th 2015, 04:24 PM

I don't know why but I seriously cannot cope with going out at night anymore I'm not scared of the dark or anything but I just feel like something terrible will happen if I go out at night. I never used to be this way at all This has been getting worse over the past year or so.

When I was about 17 me and my friends were out at about 7pm (it was winter so it was completely dark) and some guy started punching my friend for no reason. He also pushed me to the ground when I tried to help my friend. That is the only real bad thing that has happened to me at night and nothing bad has happened since :/ I would still go out afterwards though. It's the past year which has been difficult.

I'm meant to be going for a meal and drinks with friends for Christmas soon. I am dreading it so much I just think something terrible will happen. Logically I know nothing will probably happen but the thoughts are still there.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Going outside at night - December 10th 2015, 07:09 PM

Is it possible for you to talk to your friends about this fear?
Not that they can take away your fear but if they are aware of it, they may be able to support you when you go out.
It also may help for you to learn self-defense as a way to increase your self-confidence. Learning how to defend yourself can help boost your self-confidence because once you know ways to protect yourself, you will feel safer.
Also it may help to work through the events that occurred with that guy. There is no reason he should have punched your friend and pushed you. It could help you to process those memories and the fear with a mental health professional and those you are close to.
I know that was not much concrete support but hopefully it helps some.
Take care and have fun celebrating the holidays with your friends!!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Going outside at night - December 11th 2015, 05:43 PM

Self-defence isn't too bad an idea I live in quite a rough area in Wales so there's quite a bit of crime and fighting. Me and my friends used to dress kind of emo so I think that's why it started :/ which is terrible really. The guy seemed drunk and annoyed. Thinking back we should have got the police involved or something.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Going outside at night - December 11th 2015, 11:00 PM

I'm sorry I hear this I would advise facing your fear is the only way your going to get past it. Why don't you take a mobile phone with you so you feel safe? Stay in well lit areas and around loads of people I'm sure you will be fine. Have you spoken to a counsellor about this feeling? Perhaps talking to a professional will be able to help you overcome this fear there's nothing wrong with being sceard.

Closed Thread