TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
On hiatus
Average Joe

Getting a diagnosis - December 30th 2015, 12:36 PM

I'm a very anxious person, and probably just a little more anxious than the average person. I constantly feel on edge in difficult situations. I get this sick feeling in my stomach and sometimes I panic and end up breathing uncontrollably fast. I recently looked up the symptoms generalised anxiety disorder and a lot seems to add up, but I want to get a proper diagnosis before making assumptions, the only trouble is, I don't really know how. I tried asking my mum but she doesn't seem to understand why a diagnosis is so important to me. She doesn't think anxiety is really something that can be diagnosed but I want to know whether it is an anxiety disorder that is causing me to feel like this or something else. I want to be able to explain to people why I might need to take a five minute break to clear my head during a stressful situation or else I will break down in tears, but I'm scared no one will believe me unless I have had a proper diagnosis. Any advice?

On hiatus

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Getting a diagnosis - December 30th 2015, 01:18 PM

Hi there.

I'm sorry that you're struggling with this right now but glad you've come to us for help.

Wanting a diagnosis is okay and if I'm on honest, having a diagnosis has helped me get the treatment I've needed. If you want a diagnosis you need to book an appointment with your GP and ask for a referral to the community mental health team to see a psychiatrist who will be able to diagnose you and prescribe medication if needed. The other good thing about this is that it might mean you start seeing a Community Psychiatric Nurse as well who will be someone you can talk to about what's going on for you and someone who can help you mean age your anxiety probably through a therapy like CBT.

Talk toy your mum, but either way, do what you need to do for you because you are what's important in this okay? Have you tried doing relaxation and mindfulness to help with the anxiety? Also doing some deep breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth should help calm you down, especially when you are struggling to breathe.

Hope this helps a little. I've been through the whole progress so if you have any questions please don't hesitate to message me.

Hopes and wishes
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
On hiatus
Average Joe

Re: Getting a diagnosis - December 30th 2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Hi there.

I'm sorry that you're struggling with this right now but glad you've come to us for help.

Wanting a diagnosis is okay and if I'm on honest, having a diagnosis has helped me get the treatment I've needed. If you want a diagnosis you need to book an appointment with your GP and ask for a referral to the community mental health team to see a psychiatrist who will be able to diagnose you and prescribe medication if needed. The other good thing about this is that it might mean you start seeing a Community Psychiatric Nurse as well who will be someone you can talk to about what's going on for you and someone who can help you mean age your anxiety probably through a therapy like CBT.

Talk toy your mum, but either way, do what you need to do for you because you are what's important in this okay? Have you tried doing relaxation and mindfulness to help with the anxiety? Also doing some deep breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth should help calm you down, especially when you are struggling to breathe.

Hope this helps a little. I've been through the whole progress so if you have any questions please don't hesitate to message me.

Hopes and wishes
Jessie
Hi Jessie

Thank you for responding. I have heard of relaxation and mindfulness exercises, I can't say I've tried them but I will definitely look into it.

I didn't know you could take prescribed medication for anxiety. How does it help?

On hiatus

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Getting a diagnosis - December 30th 2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Shady View Post
Hi Jessie

Thank you for responding. I have heard of relaxation and mindfulness exercises, I can't say I've tried them but I will definitely look into it.

I didn't know you could take prescribed medication for anxiety. How does it help?
Hey,

You're more than welcome. I hope it's helped a little. I can't tell you at all anti anxiety medication but I'm on lorezepam and have been on diazepam which are benzodiazepines and work by acting on receptors in the brain called GABA receptors, I believe. I'm also on Clomazapine where it works in the brain and affects a neurotransmitter called domaine. But all these anti anxiety medications will calm your thoughts, your panic, your anxiety down and just help you settle and even make you less agitated. It's not something I'm saying you should try first. A lot of people believe trying something like CBT before meds is more helpful but if it's getting out of control at the same time, looking into medication could be beneficial for you too.

Hope this answers your question.
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#5 (permalink)) Old
On hiatus
Average Joe

Re: Getting a diagnosis - December 30th 2015, 09:05 PM

I see. Thank you very much!

On hiatus

Closed Thread