TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
itsF Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Dehydration due to phobia - January 20th 2016, 09:49 PM

I have a fear of not being able to go to the toilet in public places. Specifically school.

First of all I am self-concious of going to the toilet or telling people I am going to the toilet in the first place. But it never used to be like this.

SKIP IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ THERE IS A TL;DR AT THE BOTTOM
I was in math class and my teacher left the room as soon as the lesson started. She handed us a worksheet before she left so we had stuff to do. I had no clue what I was doing so I started asking people what to do when I started needing the toilet. I waited, 45 minutes confused with the work and no one would/could help me and the teacher wasn't there and I was on the edge of peeing myself. She came back and I asked for the toilet pass and she started shouting at me because I had done like 6 questions out of the 20 we had to do in an hour. She didn't allow me to go to the toilet for another five minutes but I didn't do any work because I was too distracted on not peeing myself.
Ever since I have never asked a teacher to go to the toilet.

TL;DR (too long didnt read)
Teacher shouted at me when I asked to go to toilet because I hadn't done much work. Not asked to go to the toilet since.

This has stopped me drinking in school (6 hours without a drink and sometimes I skip breakfast). I get dehydrated and somehow still manage to force myself to pee in break and dinner.
I really need to build the confidence to bring a drink back because it's giving me headaches not drinking and making me dizzy at times. But I really don't want to have to use the toilet during lesson.

How can I rebuild this confidence.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Dehydration due to phobia - January 20th 2016, 10:14 PM

After what happened to you, I don't blame you for not wanting to ask to go to the bathroom again! This was one teacher, one time, (who was apparently having a bad day or something else going on), I would start by going at lunch/break or between classes if there's time where you don't necessarily need to ask and work up from there. I almost never went to the bathroom at school because there wasn't enough time between classes or before the bus left to go and I could hold it all day. You can also try asking while you're doing work independently so you can call the teacher over or go up to them and the whole class doesn't need to hear you ask.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Dehydration due to phobia - January 22nd 2016, 03:48 PM

Hey there,
As someone who has bad past experiences regarding this, I can really understand how upsetting this probably is both physically and emotionally

If I had to redo my experiences I would not care what the teacher says and go anyway. I never really stood up for myself but i somehoe spoke up when it was happemung to someone else. At one point I was a daycare assistant and the supervisor did not let a boy go to the bathroom as a PUNISHMENT. He was only 3 years old. Watching that was too painful (i havent gotten over it) and I ended up taking him to the bathroom which was "against the rules"

. I'm not telling you what to do, and I wouldn't want you to get into trouble. But honestly, this is YOUR right. The teacher can make general guidelines but in my opinion, this is a violation. I suggest talking to her in private if possible. If she does this again, I'd take it to someone else like a guidance counselor. Her job is a teacher. Not a bodily function conttoller and not a prison guard. Yes, I can understand the bathroom pass system but ultimately this is your body. I'm sorry if I'm coming across as over sensitive but in the grand scheme of things, no one tells adults at work if they can go to the bathroom. They just get up and go. They are in charge to take care of their needs and given the freedom to do so. And you shouldn't be treated any differently than that. You also have responsibility to not spend hours in the bathroom texting for instance but you also deserve to be trusted rather than mistreated with hostility and mistrust.

As for the phobia you developed. Maybe your teacher will understand your situation when you speak to her. Some teachers put on an act and are much nicer outside the classroom than when they have to manage class behaviors. So I'm thinking if she does understand, you can practice drinking water slowly increasing it. Etc.

Closed Thread