TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FrozenRobot7 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Danielle

How do I cope? - December 30th 2016, 12:25 AM

Recently in my life, I have been feeling extremely anxious at all times, and it's super weird. At this point, I wouldn't say that I have anxiety because I haven't felt like this for very long. But when I do, I get super glittery and just try to like crack my knuckles and kind of fiddle with my hands to calm down, but it hasn't helped.

Is there anything I can do to at least feel less anxious?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: How do I cope? - December 31st 2016, 04:52 PM

Hey there,

There are loads of different things that you could try to calm down and feel less anxious. It's mainly a matter of trying different things to see what works best for you.

Do you usually try to cope with knuckle cracking and fiddling with your hands? Perhaps you could have a stress ball, or a squidgy toy as something to fiddle with. You could also get a Rubik's cube as not only are you doing something with your hands but also distracting your mind from whatever is making you feel anxious.

You could also try deep breathing exercises and mindfulness- there are many tutorials online. Another thing that helps to decrease your anxiety levels can be regular exercise. Or even exercise when you are feeling anxious can help.

You can also try distracting yourself, by being productive e.g. drawing, cleaning, cooking etc. As these things also mean you are using your hands but also your mind too.

You mention that you haven't felt this way in a while, so I'm wondering if there has been something that has triggered your anxiety? Learning to deal with the trigger can help lower the anxiety too, if that's possible.

Hope others can share their ideas for managing anxiety too!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How do I cope? - January 7th 2017, 08:00 AM

You can research Sympathetic Nervous System (SNS), and Parasympathetic Nervous System (PNS), and research ways to deactivate SNS and activate PNS.

Anxiety is prolonged SNS state. Body wants to run away from stress, but we try to remain still, and body wants to move, so it fidgets, and anxiety soars.

(By the way, actually running, or exercising, may help.)

The other thing is to learn how to activate PNS state, by focusing your mind on the present moment, and stopping the endless cycle of thoughts, by returning your focus to the present moment when your mind wanders (which it will do after about 10 seconds.) Repeatedly training your mind in this way can over time reduce stress and anxiety, and improve mind and health.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread