TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Catsrmything Offline
Dreamer In Disguise
Average Joe

Name: Brianna

Social anxiety - May 24th 2009, 09:19 PM

Hey so I have social anxiety and i refuse to take the medication so im trying to just get over it on my own without medication and so far its not going very well. does anyone with social anxiety have any tips on how to get over it. Or at least how to deal with it when im surround by lots of people?

thnx,
Brianna

-Bri
  Send a message via MSN to Catsrmything Send a message via Yahoo to Catsrmything  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: Social anxiety - May 24th 2009, 09:22 PM

Hey Brianna,
It's great that you're looking for some help in managing your social anxiety. I think I could have some input to give you but I guess first I wanted to hear more about what your social anxiety involves. Is it hard for you to go out at all? Is it hard to be in a crowd? Is the anxiety when you talk to people? Is it easier with family/friends? The more info you give, the more help we can give back!
Jen

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
franz1 Offline
Out of the box thinker
Junior TeenHelper

Name: brady shaw

Re: Social anxiety - May 24th 2009, 09:30 PM

do you have problems sitting close to people? do you have a hard time going with people to a party? I would say just try not to get sssssoooo close to a person when you feel an anxiety attack..

that is all i can say

Helen: I'm someone who has chosen to embrace the broad spectrum of our reality.

​“Levity helps keep far more insidious things at bay.”
Dr. Helen Magnus, “Sanctuary For All”
SANCTUARY

“Feeling safe is something we all need.”
Dr. Will Zimmerman, “Sanctuary For All”
SANCTUARY

“We learn more from failure than from success.”
Nikola Tesla, “END OF NIGHTS” PART II
SANCTUARY

“Life without purpose isn’t… life.”
Will Zimmerman, “PAVOR NOCTURNUS”
SANCTUARY
  Send a message via Skype™ to franz1 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Catsrmything Offline
Dreamer In Disguise
Average Joe

Re: Social anxiety - May 25th 2009, 12:15 AM

well I cant sit next to people. I dont like to walk by people. If im in a store i purposely dont go down isles that have people in them (it makes it really hard to shop). Parties are okay as long as i know everyone thats there and i understand what there talking about and stuff (like when they talk about boyfriends and i know who their talking about) but if theres one person i dont know there then i get all scared and just shy away from everyone. I stopped going out at all cause it was to hard. i used to go to church every Sunday but i stopped cause i felt left out and everyone knew everyone else and i didnt and i know thats my fault cause i could be good friends with everyone there i just was to scared to and all i ever did at church was stand in the conner and look like an idiot. It is easier with friends its still as hard with family I guess its easier with kids much younger than me and its okay? with kids my age but its horrible with adults. Like i cant ever ask my teacher for help with something cause im to scared.

-Bri
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: Social anxiety - May 25th 2009, 02:21 PM

Brianna,
I would start small. You don't have to become a master at all social situations right away. So pick something small and doable first. Maybe first, make yourself go down an aisle in a store that has one other person in it. See how you feel. Watch that it's hard but that you're handling it. Then build up to something else--maybe the next time, you go down an aisle that has several people in it. You can use this same strategy with parties, talking with teachers, etc. Pick a simplified, small version of the issue and tackle it.

Something to remember is that anxiety isn't going to kill you. So even though when you put yourself in a social situation, you feel so anxious--all anxiety is is a feeling. It's unpleasant but it's NOT harmful. Decide to be stronger than your anxiety, so when you feel uncomfortable in the situation, you can remember that yes you feel uncomfortable but that's all it is, and you can keep going through the situation.

Another thing to remember is that anxiety will always decrease. So the first time you put yourself in a social situation it's going to feel SUPER uncomfortable. But that's probably the worst the anxiety will get. Each time after that, that you put yourself in a situation, you will feel less and less anxiety because you're getting used to the situation. Does that make sense?

You can do it, Brianna! Stay strong, remember that you are stronger than your anxiety! Let me know if you want to talk more about it.
Jen

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Catsrmything Offline
Dreamer In Disguise
Average Joe

Re: Social anxiety - May 26th 2009, 12:03 AM

hey thanks so much for all for the advice I'll try it out. and I'll keep fighting cause i know if i dont give up that one day I will win this battle with my anxiety! so once again Thank you!

-Bri
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
theatregeek Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Allie

Re: Social anxiety - May 26th 2009, 01:28 AM

I have social anxiety as well, and what's helped me so much is just taking small then increasingly bigger steps of doing bold stuff.
I always wanted to do theatre so come middle school and throughout high school I just forced, for lack of better words, myself to do it.
I still get anxiety attacks from time to time but they've lessened and full blown panic attacks are very rare now
i think just putting yourself in situations that are uncomfortable(smaller then bigger ones) and realizing nothing bad will happen helps.

I hope any of that makes sense to you and helps, because I've been there and yeah it sucks.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Samantha

Re: Social anxiety - June 7th 2009, 03:30 AM

Learning how to control the physical symptoms of anxiety through relaxation techniques and breathing exercises.
Challenging negative, unhelpful thoughts that trigger and fuel social anxiety, replacing them with more balanced views.
Facing the social situations you fear in a gradual, systematic way, rather than avoiding them.

Closed Thread