TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Average Joe

Tools to help - July 15th 2018, 04:11 AM

[SIZE="a"]I am dealing with anxiety overload and I am wondering if anyone has tools that might help. I've been dealing with anxiety for years and the only thing that has ever really helped was reading. Right now reading isn't something I have the mind for and so I need suggestions.

I know exercise can help but I have never benefited from that. It tends to make my anxiety worse. There are reasons for that but I don't want to go into detail.[/size]

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Tools to help - July 15th 2018, 05:50 PM

Listening to music helps me or just thinking of something happy, whether that's something from the past or something I'm looking forward to.

When my anxiety is particularly bad, I will either visualise myself going through the anxiety provoking situation and finding ways of either reassuring myself that I'll be fine or thinking about the worst case scenario and how I would deal with it.

For example, I used to get anxious meeting up with a friend. I felt physically anxious, but couldn't really identify what was bothering me. So the night before, I would visualise the entire day ahead and find out what was behind my anxiety (usually social stuff like using public transport, ordering food, buying stuff in shops etc) and try to think of exactly what I was afraid of and visualise how I would deal with my fears. So if I was afraid of missing the bus, I'd leave a little bit early. If I was afraid of getting tongue tied when asking for a ticket, I'd repeat it in my head on my way there. Worst case scenario, I would be afraid of falling over on the bus and embarrasing myself so I would tell myself that I would look for a seat at the front of the bus, hold onto railings and if the worst happens, apologise and laugh it off. I find that it helps to think of many different ways of dealing with things because it's a comfort to know that whether or not what we dread actually happens (because it might not) that we always have a safety net of sorts.

Depending on your situation, another way to look at anxiety is to tell yourself that you're feeling excited. Anxiety and excitement have similar physical symptoms and if you tell yourself you are excited, you may lessen the anxiety and be able to perform better (as opposed to trying to calm yourself down and still noticing the symptoms of anxiety). Though it does depend on the situation, but some people say it does help.

You may also want to check out the NHS moodzone for more ideas on dealing with anxiety.

Hope others can share their insight!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance.

I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Tools to help - July 15th 2018, 07:44 PM

Hi, I'm sorry you're having a hard time and I hope you will be okay soon.
When I'm stressed out, I put on funny movie's or TV shows or music or drawing or going for a walk or playing with my cat or drinking tea or coffee and dancing. I hope that you are able to find something that can help you. Hugs.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor and Forum Moderator. PM/VM

Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat, your breathing.
Itís the rhythm of your life. Itís the expression in time and movement,
in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques díAmbroise

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Average Joe

Re: Tools to help - July 15th 2018, 08:39 PM

[SIZE="a"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celyn View Post
Depending on your situation, another way to look at anxiety is to tell yourself that you're feeling excited. Anxiety and excitement have similar physical symptoms and if you tell yourself you are excited, you may lessen the anxiety and be able to perform better (as opposed to trying to calm yourself down and still noticing the symptoms of anxiety). Though it does depend on the situation, but some people say it does help.
This is particularly true for me. My anxiety and excitement sometimes does go hand in hand, so I have to take a step back and first analyze what I'm anxious about. If I am unable to pin-point it, then I say it's excitement. What I notice when I am excited, my stomach reacts more in a "I need the bathroom" sort of way; where as with anxiety, my stomach reacts in a "I feel like throwing up" sort of way. That's really how I can differentiate between anxiety and excitement.

OP: Another thing that helps me when I am feeling anxious is by keeping my hands busy. I may use my fidget spinner, and spin as hard and as fast as I can, and focus on that feeling in between my fingers. Or, I may turn to the computer and just type; it can either be nonsense or actual formed thoughts, sometimes regarding the topic I am feeling anxious about.

I would suggest checking out the Alternatives page as well so you can get some ideas as to what to do when you're feeling anxious.
[/size]

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Skyline Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Skye

Re: Tools to help - July 16th 2018, 01:27 AM

I personally experience anxiety / stress / unease as a hyper-activity / chaos in my thoughts and feelings, so when I'm looking to minimise that I usually try things which will ground me in my senses rather than in my mind.
Recently I've taken to going on walks alone with my headphones and playing songs which I can sing and dance to. Also, surprisingly, hitch-hiking is something I enjoy doing a lot because while I'm waiting for the next car to come I'm forced to simply wait and be in the moment, and it means I'm not rushing to get the bus on time. But obviously hitch-hiking isn't something anyone would want to do, let alone anywhere, but it's just another example of activities I try to do which favour me taking my time and focusing on things around me rather than on my thoughts and feelings. Other than that, if I'm already in a situation which is causing me to feel anxious / uneasy / stressed (e.g something social like being in a group of people who I'm friendly with but not close to, and my thoughts start to spiral into self-deprecating patterns) I take deep breaths and count to four when I inhale, then four when I exhale. It doesn't do much but it can help.

I hope some of this helps, good luck x

"You shall love your crooked neighbour / with your crooked heart."

Closed Thread