TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Cheesii Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kat

Unhappy Syncope after panic attack - December 28th 2018, 08:50 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So, basically I'm at a theme park and the line was super long. It's hot af. I'm sick and couldn't sleep much the night before and was hyped up on cold medicine.

I was good for about 30 minutes, then out of nowhere I had a panic attack that was on and off for about an hour. I did breathing but my body just wouldn't stop. I'm not sure when I felt like throwing up, but I remember my body did the throwing up muscle thing (didn't actually puke). Which didnt help me much. At that point I was pretty close to the ride but I just didn't feel up to it whatsoever. Told my mom I had to leave and she just said that it would be a waste to leave. I was able to calm down once we got to some shade in a little wooden thingy and decided to put my earbuds in. After that I remember going to lean against a railing. Then moving as the line moved. Then all of a sudden my vision went black with sight only in the middle and like a circle. I thought it would pass so I leaned on a railing. Only to come to and find myself being asked if I'm okay by some old ladies. I realized what happened and went to my mom who didn't even notice that I had passed out... which made me feel like trash.

Basically this was scary and I felt like my parents didn't care or believe me when I had to repeat that I passed out because neither of them saw it... the only people in the line near me who didn't see me pass out were my own parents. Then my mom got mad at me, even though I had told her that I was to overwhelmed and needed to leave.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hailey12 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Hailey

Re: Syncope after panic attack - December 30th 2018, 04:53 AM

Wow, that sounds really terrifying. I'm so sorry that happened to you, and I hope that you're feeling better now!

It can be extremely frustrating and saddening when the people who are supposed to care about us and take care of us don't take us seriously, and it sounds like this - the passing out - is a symptom that you're worried about. Is it normal for you to pass out when you have a panic attack, or under any other circumstances? Or is this the first time this has happened? Either way, I'm sure that passing out was very startling and scary, and I can imagine that your parents ignoring what happened must have made the whole experience feel even worse.

My recommendation is that you see your doctor, just in case, if this isn't something that normally happens to you. Passing out definitely is something that happens to some people during panic attacks, and it can also happen for a whole host of other fairly benign reasons (low blood sugar, dehydration, being sick, etc.), so I wouldn't worry that it's anything serious, but I think it's a good idea to check in with your doctor if you've never passed out before. If nothing else, they'll be updated on what's going on with you, and they may be able to give you some ideas about what caused it so that you can hopefully avoid or prevent passing out again the future.

Because you're 16, you may or may not be able to see your doctor without your parents' permission, depending on where you live. If you need your parents' involvement, I would start by explaining to them what happened, without downplaying anything at all - let them know exactly how scary and unusual this experience was for you. If they don't want to take you, you should still have the option to email your doctor. Many hospitals also have an "advice line" or "advice nurse" you can call (for free) to ask medical questions, and all you would need to do that is your medical ID number. You may also be able to speak with your school nurse, if your school has one.

Again, I'm so sorry that happened to you. That must have been really scary. Panic attacks are scary enough when we don't pass out! But I think it's unlikely that you have anything serious to worry about, health-wise (although please check in with your doctor!), and I hope that you're feeling better now. Please take care of yourself.

Closed Thread