TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Emzy Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Emma

Exclamation Anxiety Classes are over. - July 1st 2009, 02:12 PM

I've been having classes for the last 5 weeks with 3 other people my age to help me cope with my anxiety, it has helped in so many ways but it hasn't really helped my "depressed" side. As I am nearly 18 it means I'm no longer able to go to the U18 clinic and need to attend an Adult one, it sounds really scary and I'm quite nervous about it, this isn't helping my Anxiety at all.

I'm not coping with the fact I have anxiety because I know its a mental disorder but over the past 5 weeks I've been told not to let the word "mental" bother me, yet it still does. I've found a new friend from my classes and as she's only 16 she's going to carry on attending the U18 clinic, and I kinda don't wanna be separated from her as she knows alot about me now, she lives round the corner so I can still see her everyday but it feels odd knowing I have to start over at a new clinic.

I am proud of myself for doing the full 5 weeks though, tomorrow is my last one where we have to paint pictures of our idols and explain why we look upto them and how they help us cope with our problems. I'll be painting Hayley Williams & P!NK, should be fun but I just don't want to leave I was so scared when I first went and now I love it, it gives me something to look forward too.

I'm just so glad I got this far, I thought I'd back down after a week. I've prooved myself wrong
  Send a message via MSN to Emzy Send a message via Skype™ to Emzy 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Trickmatic Offline
-
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Anxiety Classes are over. - July 1st 2009, 06:21 PM

First of all, I think it's great that you were able to go to these clinics and make a new friend as well whom you can keep contact with.

The use of the word mental. Perhaps you can suggest people at those clinics to not the use word mental. I agree it does give anxiety a bigger stigma if it as constantly talked about as mental. Perhaps you can talk to a counselor / therapist about your experiences at the clinics, and they can help with an action plan to find strategies to help with anxiety.

I'm glad to hear that you did have a good experience with the clinic. I hope that the next clinic experience goes even better :]

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Emzy Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Anxiety Classes are over. - July 2nd 2009, 08:26 AM

Thank you, I hope that also. I'm suffering from "depression" (I really hate that word) and things are looking up, slowly. But thank you for replying, I'll let you know how things go tonight at my last class ^_^
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Anxiety Classes are over. - July 2nd 2009, 08:15 PM

Hi there Emma!

You should be so proud of yourself for going to these anxiety classes for so long! You must feel quite accomplished. It takes a lot of hard work and courage to go to any sort of self-help class, but you’ve done it and that’s really great.

I think that the fact that you managed to go to your U18 clinic shows how brave and strong you are, Emma. Just because you’re going to a class with a different age group, it doesn’t stop the fact that you’ve been so brave. I don’t think that there is anything to be nervous about – you’ve been through something similar and it made you proud to go through those classes. You should be proud of yourself for going to adult classes, too. Those classes are there to help you and the age range shouldn’t bother you – chances are, there are going to be other people your age attending to and you may find even more new friends. It’s great that you’re not going to lose contact with your other friend.

I’m also going to tell you not to let the word ‘mental’ bother you – it should only bother you as much as the word ‘physical’ – I don’t think that you should let either bother you, personally. Being bothered by a word doesn’t help. I can understand that there is sometimes a stigma around the words ‘Mental Health’, but honestly, I don’t know why. 1 in 3 people face ‘mental’ problems at some time or another. I would also recommend that when you go to these new classes, you do try and ask about your depression and for some help with that, you deserve to be helped.

I hope that you enjoyed your last class, Emma. Take care.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Emzy Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Anxiety Classes are over. - July 3rd 2009, 11:13 AM

Thank you for that Stephanie! It was really good fun, I painted Hayley Williams and it looks really good. I got discharged for good from the U18 clinic, wahoo! So now it's kinda like "stage two" of my anxiety recovery, I am proud of myself because I'm not one to just mix with new people. And Becky, my friend who I met there lives round the corner so we're going to see more of each other.

I'm happy that I've also found ways to cope with stressful times, breathing deeply and yoga are my two new hobbies haha! But no really, they do help me relax and let life roll off my back. :]
Closed Thread