TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lauren18uk Offline
Not a n00b

Name: lauren

What is your phobia? - July 7th 2009, 05:01 PM

I was just wondering what everyone's biggest phobia was, and how come you ended up getting that phobia to begin with. My biggest one isnt very original but its rats, oh my goddd i cant even say the word out loud i usually spell it out when saying it to people. Before now ive had panic attacks when seeing them on tv, though i have got much better now, i can see them and not completely FREAK OUT, i just cringe and look away. I blame my mum for this phobia, she is terrified too, and irrationally passed it on to me! lol

Last edited by Lizzie; July 8th 2009 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Moved to Mental Health

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

re: What is your phobia? - July 7th 2009, 05:07 PM

I'm terrified of emus and ostriches. I've had unpleasant encounters with them more than once in a safari park/zoo-type thing.
Probably sounds hilarious, but it wasn't at the time.
NEEDLES....especially having my blood taken because it's actually taking something out...ew. I hate seeing veins aswell, it's making me feel weird just thinking about it.
Public speaking is a massive no. You couldn't pay me to do that, it's terrifying.
I also dislike deep water. -_-

Last edited by Prozac; July 11th 2009 at 11:32 PM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lil-x Offline
save me from my dark.
Average Joe

re: What is your phobia? - July 7th 2009, 05:08 PM

Daddy-long-legs....man I hate those things. Euggghh.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Marshmello Kid Offline
Curioser and curioser . . .
Average Joe

Name: Reid

re: What is your phobia? - July 7th 2009, 05:26 PM

I'm terrified of the ocean/lakes. Thunder storms frighten me, too. Being alone(as in, with no one else I know) is horrible. . . I get scared and go hide in a washroom.

Eh, there's probably more. I'm scared of everything. xD

“If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want
them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.”
-Albert Einstein

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

re: What is your phobia? - July 7th 2009, 05:30 PM

Chickens. I don't know why, nothing has happened for me to be scared of them, but I can't look at one... alive or dead.

Fireworks. Because of an incident.

DVD Menus. Yes, I am that weird. I have to skip them all the time, I freak out if someone leaves one on.

Needles. Can't watch them or else I'll faint. Actually I can feel dizzy just thinking about them. Ahhh.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Voldemort Offline
Touch My Deathstick
Average Joe

Name: Jade

re: What is your phobia? - July 7th 2009, 05:42 PM

I know it sounds a bit strange but I can't stand motzerella cheese. The really chewy type. That stuff freaks me out and I can't eat it at all. Erm.. probably because some got stuck in my throat a while ago and I choked on it Sounds funny now but I recon I would run and scream if I saw some. Serously it gives me the creeps and I can't swallow when I think of it

Dance like you mean it.

Buddy from 4th January 2010 - 16th March 2010... Buddy again from 8th September 2010 - October 16th 2011
  Send a message via MSN to Voldemort  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

re: What is your phobia? - July 7th 2009, 06:00 PM

Falling. Not the hitting the bottom, but the pit of the stomach churning feeling. I got it because I had a lot of bad dreams as a child when I stayed at my nan's house that someone pushed me down the stairs except they disappeared and I just kept falling.
I can't even fall off a bed now, I'm terrified. And I get incredibly angry at friends who think it's funny to pick me up and drop me.

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#8 (permalink)) Old
lauren18uk Offline
Not a n00b

Name: lauren

re: What is your phobia? - July 8th 2009, 02:47 PM

there are some bizarre phobias aren't there? i heard 2 of the biggest phobias is a person getting peanut butter stuck to the roof of their mouth, and also cotton wool in someones mouth?? lol one of my bizarre phobias is seals. Everyone but me thinks they are cute but i am totally scared of them - but only in the water, not out of the water. Not knowing where they are.. how deep they can go in the sea.. omg freaks me out!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

re: What is your phobia? - July 8th 2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren18uk View Post
cotton wool in someones mouth
Oh gosh, I hate that feeling when you compact cotton wool, if you put it between your fingers and it squeaks when it's pressed together. *shivers*

(#10 (permalink)) Old
~ginaa32~ Offline
F*** tha world~lil wayne
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: ginaa

re: What is your phobia? - July 8th 2009, 03:47 PM

spiders
allys
tornados
bugs in general
frreakin birds!! ah

hey please feel free to PM me about anything&everything!!

fly, fly high, the sky is ur limit

If I can't have you
Let love set you free
To fly your pretty wings around.

Pretty wings, your pretty wings, your
Pretty wings. Pretty wings around.

Send a message via MSN to ~ginaa32~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~ginaa32~  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
ElToroLoco Offline
Sometimes fun costs you...
Average Joe

Name: Zorro

re: What is your phobia? - July 8th 2009, 03:54 PM

social interactions
public speaking
and heights :O

"I hate that my blood makes me crazy. I hate that I can't function without being chemically altered...
And inside I feel like tears are streaming down my cheeks. But they're not are they...
I'm so lost inside. I wish that i could get out. But I don't think I ever will..."

(#12 (permalink)) Old
braidenowns Offline
Braiden Knows Best.
Not a n00b

Name: Braiden

re: What is your phobia? - July 8th 2009, 04:21 PM

Ties - you know those ones that professional people where? Yes, those ties.
Shoelaces - therefore I wear shoes without them.
Spiders
Snakes
Birds
Trains
Small Spaces with too many people - I wish I could rave. lol. But I'm scared.

I have tonnes, but you'd think that I was secretly a woman if I told you. haha. I'm not manly at all.

Braiden.
  Send a message via MSN to braidenowns  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

re: What is your phobia? - July 8th 2009, 05:02 PM

I'm afraid of being buried alive. I don't want that to ever happen to me. You would slowly just die in a box underneath the ground and many other things... I don't ever ever want that to happen.

I'm Claustrophobic. I found this out a little while ago. We went to explore caves, and It was like 400-500 feet underground. The opening to the cave completely surrounded me down the stairs... It's a horrible feeling. I never thought I was claustrophobic.

I detest maggots. When I lived with my mom, she brought in some kind of matress, and we think that's where the "worms" came from. They infested our house, and they were in the carpet wiggling and... My mom wouldn't let me live anywhere else at the time. Now, I have a huge problem with them. Another reason why I don't want to be buried. I don't want them to get me.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

re: What is your phobia? - July 8th 2009, 09:39 PM

i don't want to say because a lot of people find it weird and pretty funny.. also it kinda freaks me out seeing it written down. my mum even sent me to therapy for it about a year ago because it got pretty ridiculous.. but i'm a bit better about it now. i've never met anyone with the same phobia.. meh.

also.. i'm pretty scared of needles.. but i'm getting better.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Fucking Done Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

re: What is your phobia? - July 8th 2009, 09:48 PM

Like almost everybody else says birds. I got attacked at a big public garden by them before ... I'm not one of those people who mnake a huge scene when they are scared though so I just don't take my eye off the bird till i'm far away.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

re: What is your phobia? - July 10th 2009, 12:38 AM

Not many people used to know this, but I used to be very scared of snakes. I got over it. You know how?

I BOUGHT one...Haha.

But still my two fears are social interaction, and strangely, the dark. The dark I can deal with, but its something that I'm always VERY uncomfortable in. And dealing with people....Yeah, just forget it.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

re: What is your phobia? - July 10th 2009, 01:42 AM

Hi Lauren!!

I hope you're having a rat free day!!

My biggest phobia is being trapped. Not by some THING but by some ONE. I think I'm getting better [i.e. becoming more assertive] but I still worry intently - to the point of having anxiety attacks - about being with someone and I can't get away. [Because they're mean or doing something stupid or just 'bending my ear' and talking about their problems for hours and hours - which has happened a LOT in my life] I am so worried about being embarrassed or hurting someone else's feelings [Even if they're hurting mine] that I often try to avoid people unless I already feel comfortable with them. WHY do I have this phobia? I grew up in a very dysfunctional family and felt extremely trapped by their insanity.

My other two phobias are spiders and heights.

So if you really want to be mean to me - somehow get me to edge of the roof of some tall building, go on and on about YOUR problems [Without ever asking me about mine] and introduce me to 'squiggy' your pet tarantula!! lol

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

(#18 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

re: What is your phobia? - July 10th 2009, 01:47 AM

My biggest worry (I suppose you could call it a phobia) is being hurt by people that I trust. I have been betrayed by a lot of people who I have trusted in the past, therefore I constantly fear that I will say something wrong or make a mistake that will cause the people I trust to back out of my life. It has caused me to draw back from people in fear of being myself, as I am afraid that they will not accept the things I feel or believe.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Bean Offline
*goes poof*
Regular TeenHelper

re: What is your phobia? - July 10th 2009, 05:31 AM

Social interaction... it terrifies me. I can force myself to talk to strangers, but I find it next to impossible to meet up with someone I have met once or twice, but if I get to know someone really closely (extremely rare) then I'm ok. Thinking about it, I guess I'm more scared of getting close to people, as in the past I have been very badly hurt by a very close 'friend'.

And dead insects... they are just horrible....

(#20 (permalink)) Old
memorybabe Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

re: What is your phobia? - July 11th 2009, 11:15 PM

shoe stores, They have made me cry before. I have small feet (size 5) and no store in town carries my size. it starts out as "Hey? How about these cute sandels--No wait--not for you--its a size six" "How about this other cute shoe?" "No you can't have it." "They don't even make a size five in this one."
if you keep me there for a few hours, "you can't were a size six" turns to "you suck at LIFE!!" it's like constant rejection when my girls have to go on six hour shopping trips for shoes for prom.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
kokorocks Offline
Average Joe

Name: Damien

re: What is your phobia? - July 11th 2009, 11:42 PM

mine is- the dark like extremely when it gets dark out i have to pull all the blinds and hide away from windows that don't have one. I actually broke one of my curtains cause i was so frantic when i forgot and saw it was dark so i pull it so hard that it broke.
wearwolve- i know their not real but this goes along with the dark i'm so afriad of the dark cause i believe something is watching me, like a wearwolf
cheese- i know that sounds stupid but if it ever touches me i get a panic attack and hyperventalate.

Send a message via MSN to kokorocks  
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
HearMeSCREAM Offline
"I will never let you fall."
Average Joe

Name: Alissandra (Bella)

re: What is your phobia? - July 12th 2009, 01:28 AM

Telephobia.
Im scared to call people on my phone. Im always worried about misunderstanding what they say, making me ask what they said over and over... Making them yell at me. I also dislike calling back people, because I think their parents will answer and that always makes me nervous.. Or I get the wrong number and hang up if someone I dont know answers. I also dont like leaving messeges in voice mail.

I will never let you fall.
But if you do, ill just pick you right back up.
If you dont get up, I'll sit right beside you.

.//b e l i e v e;

JustCallMyName
You'llBeOkay,
YourScreamIsBurningThroughMyVeins.
-Breaking Benjamin

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Em... Offline
smile; it looks good on you.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: E

re: What is your phobia? - July 12th 2009, 02:51 AM

I use to be deathly afraid of dogs, because I was attacked by one when I was little and it left scars on my face. However as I was walking to school one day a puppy came out and licked my legs insanely and it was the cutest thing ever, which helped me get over that fear.

I'm definitely scared or spiders, which sucks because they like to live in my bathroom, I suppose I'm afraid of these things because of movies.

I'm afraid of the dark too. This is because I use to have night terrors when I was little where I could vividly see the horrible things that were happening to me, and I would wake up and see things in my room.

I'm lastly afraid of being alone. I mean like sometimes I wish I were alone, but I always need someone. This is because when I had no one, and I was going through a rough time, I was on the verge of suicide, to the point where I had a plan as to how to self destruct. It was a horrible feeling.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Person
Junior TeenHelper

re: What is your phobia? - July 12th 2009, 11:57 PM

Thunder
and Spiders

Lawl.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Pour the Teapot Offline
Train whistles and cicadas
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Chloe

re: What is your phobia? - July 13th 2009, 12:22 AM

i'm terrified of spiders. i don't like to kill them because they are innocent creatures, but i can't go near them. if i even see one then i have the heeby-jeebies for days.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
bahamachicki Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ellie

re: What is your phobia? - July 13th 2009, 12:47 AM

ohjesus. I have so many.
I have social phobia or social anxiety disorder.

Can't name everything but mainly:
fear of falling
fear of getting old
fear of losing my love
afraid of failure

(#27 (permalink)) Old
PaigeaRoni Offline
you only live once
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Paige

re: What is your phobia? - July 13th 2009, 03:47 AM

I freak the hell out when I hear people biting on their silverware, the smell of metallic smell makes me wigg out also. I hate the feeling of cotton and styrophone (sp?)

I'm not chlostrophobic, but I do not like going down slides that are inclosed. I also cannot have the skin on my upper thighs touching, even when i'm sleeping. And also when i'm sleeping, I need heavy blankets on my bed covering my feet and between my legs or I will, guaranteed, hallucinate in my sleep. Weird shit.

I was fucked up in my last life

live with no regrets.

free your mind.
may you never grow old
and never get caught.
and never desire what others have got
may you get what you want, and get what you need.
may we never get what we diserve.
  Send a message via AIM to PaigeaRoni  
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Bailey

re: What is your phobia? - July 13th 2009, 05:14 AM

I'm terrified of fish, like to the extreme. Let's just say I never go on or near lakes lol. I don't have a clue where the phobia came from. Anytime I'm near fish, I have brutal panic attacks and FREAK OUT!!!! No bueno
  Send a message via MSN to Slowly_Losing_Control  
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
AshtrayHeart Offline
Human Wreckage
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess.

re: What is your phobia? - July 13th 2009, 10:43 PM

Hoovers, I'm not sure why but I hate them more now because I popped a rib carrying it up the stairs, how I managed that I don't know.

Needles.
Birds.
Fire.
Small spaces.
Being alone forever.

'Cause there's no pride to be found when you follow sheep around..

<3 15/3/09 <3
11 months, I love you.
  Send a message via MSN to AshtrayHeart  
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Perplexity Offline
Per sempre <3
I've been here a while

Name: Shaz

re: What is your phobia? - July 13th 2009, 11:56 PM

I've had a phobia of needles ever I since I was younger when an injection went kinda wrong on me. I can't stand to be in the same room with one these days.

Last edited by Perplexity; July 14th 2009 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Typo

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

re: What is your phobia? - July 14th 2009, 01:35 AM

I can not go on bridges. I will find a way around the bridge. If I have to be forced on a bridge, I close my eyes and hold my breath or listen to music. I am scared that the bridge will collapse.

Heights are also related to the whole bridge thing.

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

(#32 (permalink)) Old
Catsrmything Offline
Dreamer In Disguise
Average Joe

Name: Brianna

re: What is your phobia? - July 14th 2009, 02:39 AM

Social Interactions - I have social anxiety
Big Open Spaces
Having to do something without being told every detail of how to do it - Makes playing games in P.E. extremely hard also cooking and doing my hair is really hard if I don't have someone standing right next to me telling me every step.

-Bri
  Send a message via MSN to Catsrmything Send a message via Yahoo to Catsrmything  
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Emzy Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Emma

re: What is your phobia? - July 14th 2009, 09:44 AM

spiders, fire, some heights, bumps in the night, death.
  Send a message via MSN to Emzy Send a message via Skype™ to Emzy 
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
Em... Offline
smile; it looks good on you.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: E

Re: What is your phobia? - July 15th 2009, 03:33 PM

okay so i thought of some more of my fears.

stairs. It freaks me out to go down the stairs, though i'm okay with going up them (unless i'm on an escalator)

enclosed slides. they always scare me.

going up on a rollercoaster. you know the part before the huge drop. it scares me because I can't see the drop and i don't know what to expect.

being in a large crowd. too many people + me = not good. it scares me for some reason. I've always been like that.

(#35 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: What is your phobia? - July 15th 2009, 04:00 PM

Thunder, spiders, lots of people in small spaces, cooked fish, i dont mind fish when its swimming but fish being cooked or cooked fish freaks me out.

(#36 (permalink)) Old
xCoralinex94 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Carrie

Re: What is your phobia? - July 15th 2009, 04:01 PM

Well theres a lot..
Needles
Blood.. im gettn over that phobia
Doctors
lol well anything to do with hospitals
Getting old.. just the thought of it freaks me out like getting older than 50 *shudders*
Losing loved ones
Public speaking
It's not quite a fear but i hate calling ppl on there house phone ill call them on there cell phone just not house phone.. im worried there parents will pick up soo it takes me like 10 min to figure out exactly what ill say if there parents pick and for me to actually call them
And im not scared of the dark but yet i am... idk its weird like at night i cant have my window open and the blinds have to be down.. i think its cause im scared theres someone outside watching me and i cant see them cause its dark
O and i hate being in public alone.. like i cant go into any stores by myself it totally freaks me out and i try to stay as far away from everyone as possible (ppl i dont no) idk its a weird fear...

380 days SH free

(#37 (permalink)) Old
LittleMsFOB Offline
"The short, odd one"
Average Joe

Re: What is your phobia? - July 15th 2009, 06:25 PM

Tapeworms, cuz I saw a show on Tv once abt a tapeworm in someone's brain...Oh god i'm freaking out just thinking abt it

(#38 (permalink)) Old
*Faith* Offline
They'll never know.
I've been here a while

Name: Faith

Re: What is your phobia? - July 16th 2009, 04:08 PM

Large crowds of people.

Can't think of anything else right now, I'm not scared of much.

You were the angel of my life, taught me to be free
Now I'm a stranger in your eyes.

(#39 (permalink)) Old
Gabss Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Gabby

Re: What is your phobia? - July 16th 2009, 04:24 PM

ummm suffocating and being trapped :|

(#40 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: What is your phobia? - July 16th 2009, 04:44 PM

i also have a fear of old books, like books my mum used to read when she was my age, i have some in my bookcase but i dont tocuh them they just sit there, i dont know if its the old book smell or if its that i think if i open the books a spider will come out or something will come out of the book.i also am scared of garden sheds and greenhouses dont no why though.

Closed Thread