TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Question Question about Meds/Anxiety - October 16th 2009, 03:14 AM

So I actually WANT to get some medication for my anxiety. It's gotten really bad, so bad that I haven't been able to have a full week of school for a long time.

Does anyone know what kinds of medication I might need? Some side effects, etc. would be awesome as well if you can dig them up

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hide The Scars Offline
Moved to a new town again :(
Not a n00b

Name: Kaydence

Re: Question about Meds/Anxiety - October 16th 2009, 04:21 AM

There's lots of medication and treatment for Anxiety. Therapy actually is supposed to help better than medication, so I'd look into that if you're really looking into improving your quality of life.
In terms of medication though, for longer term relief there's antidepressants, and for immediate relief there's benzo's (Ativan is the most common benzo and Prozac is the most common antidepressant as far as I know).
But of course as with most things, your best source of information is your doctor, so I'd just make an appointment as soon as you can and talk to them about it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Question about Meds/Anxiety - October 16th 2009, 04:50 AM

thank you!!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Question about Meds/Anxiety - October 16th 2009, 04:53 AM

another question: if i were to take a valium (or whatever) before school (because that's usually a huge stressor for me), would I still be able to concentrate fully and get my work done?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Adam Offline
Stand in the rain...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: Question about Meds/Anxiety - October 16th 2009, 12:00 PM

Hey there,

As rightly mentioned above, Prozac (Fluoxetine) is a very common antidepressant and it is also effective in treating anxiety related disorders. Medication is all well and good, but it doesn't actually cure the problem. The best method for treating anxiety is therapy and medications together. That way you can work on eliminating what stresses you out, whilst remaining more or less anxiety free.

Side effects from Prozac in particular can include nausea, Anorexia (reduced apatite - not to be confused with the eating disorder), Reduced libido (Sex drive), Insomnia etc. But all of these aren't common in everybody and they are different with each medication you are on. You should check it out with a doctor first

Katrina's NERD.
[/color] [/b][/color] [/right]

(#6 (permalink)) Old
nobody123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Question about Meds/Anxiety - October 17th 2009, 05:54 PM

I take Prozac daily for depression/anxiety, and I take Xanax only when I need it for acute anxiety problems. PM me if you want to know anything about side effects or anything else.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Question about Meds/Anxiety - October 17th 2009, 07:59 PM

You could take various anti-depressants or anti-anxiety medications. Prozac is the most common one, although some articles have shown that it's no where near as good as it seems. Valium may lead to you being tired and some have suggested that it may cause impaired learning abilities, among a list of other side-effects. The problem with trying to predict what may occur is that people are affected differently so although there is a decent sized list of side-effects, it's by no means definitive that you will experience those side-effects. However, do bare in mind that when you take a new medication of any kind, it's probably going to have a noticable effect on you (depending on the dose and other factors) because it's a sudden shock to your system. So at first, you may get some side-effects, however, they may subside. If it's a severe side-effect, then don't wait a few weeks to see if the side-effects will subside, stop with them and contact your doctor.

The easiest and quickest way to find out is to just take the medications and see how you react to them. There are some ways, although they're a bit more expensive, where you can test yourself (or get a trained person to test you) and see how likely you are to get a certain reaction without having ever taken the medication or ones similar to it. The at-home tests cover less details than other ones do but to avoid all that hassle, I'd say to just see how the medication reacts on you.

The world of psychiatry used to be and for the most part still is (although less so nowadays) focused on what's called drug therapy, which is simply prescribing you medications. Earlier in history, psychiatrists would do some psychotherapy also although nowadays that's rather rare. The world of psychology and psychiatry is examining how psychotherapy without medications can help and it's finding that it can help quite a lot. The problem of course with psychotherapy is that unlike with medications, it takes longer to work and so the "ideal" is to do both, medications and psychotherapy.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Mel.x Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Question about Meds/Anxiety - October 19th 2009, 06:45 PM

I also have anxiety and I know how hard it is to deal with. I tried medication once but it didnt work for me and made me feel really strange.
I personally think therapy is better because it can actually cure the problem. Where as taking medication sort of covers it up for a while but then it will just come back again afterwards. Therapy will help you to find out what triggers your anxiety.
But its your choice and if you still feel that you want to try medication, then you should talk to your doctor about the different types and what side effects they have.
Good Luck

Closed Thread