TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Steph-O
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stephanie

painful worry/anxiety - December 19th 2009, 06:56 PM

okay so starting a couple of months ago my body seemed to go crazy and swell up everywhere and put me in lots of pain... lost lots of weight... got ibs, just lots of unexplained pain
i think it's because of extreme stress...
and i seem to be stuck in this cycle...
this on edge...
anxiety
like im stuck in this rut where i just have these bad thoughts...
like fears that run through my mind all day long...
and its very hard not to think about it.
and the more i think about it, the worst my hurting seems to get.
can anybody give me advice on how not to worry...
i try to keep super busy but the minute i sit still and at night when i go to sleep i just cant stop the thoughts from comming.
i feel like i need rest.
lots of rest where i don't have anything to worry about for a couple of weeks...
help.

Like a diet of the mind, I just choose not to indulge certain appetites; like my appetite for patterns; perhaps my appetite to imagine and to dream. - A Beautiful Mind

I met Steven October 3rd, 2008. We've been practically inseperable ever since. ♥
  Send a message via AIM to darkinnocenteyes Send a message via Skype™ to darkinnocenteyes 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: painful worry/anxiety - December 20th 2009, 08:25 AM

Well when you're not keeping busy, perhaps music? I know when I try to sleep, I like to throw on some Ambient music. I have, I think they're called "Hypnogogic Hallucinations" or something like that. Where I basically have plausible nightmares while lying in bed awake. I also hear things, imagine things, all that. It's not fun. I've found that playing Ambient music as I try to sleep is enough to distract me, but also low enough that it won't keep me awake.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: painful worry/anxiety - December 20th 2009, 08:38 AM

OH!!

If you're interested in the idea, I suggest the following:

http://www.somafm.com , and go to the station "Drone Zone"
http://www.sleepbot.com/ambience/broadcast/
http://radiotime.com/station/s_38004/AOL_Ambient.aspx

These ones have helped me out, and hopefully they'll help you too.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Crescendo Offline
Walking The Line
Junior TeenHelper

Name: ...

Re: painful worry/anxiety - December 20th 2009, 07:23 PM

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling with so much anxiety right now.

I have PTSD and OCD, so I know what the constant worrying can be like. When people hear OCD they usually picture people who wash their hands hundreds of times a day, or are constantly checking to make sure doors are locked, or have to touch everything a certain number of times. But a lot of people have something called "Purely Obsessional OCD" (which is what I have) where you have repeated unwanted thoughts or images that produce a lot of anxiety (called intrusive/obsessive thoughts) and cause the person to try to avoid situations that trigger the thoughts, or try to avoid thinking about the thoughts. Most of my intrusive/obsessive thoughts revolved around a fear i would embarass myself, a fear i would get hurt, or a fear i would hurt someone else.

There are a few things that helped me deal with my constant worry from the intrusive thoughts.

1) First of all I didn't avoid the things I knew were irrational. For example at different points I was afraid of my cell phone electrocuting me while it was on vibrate and afraid of falling down the stairs. If you know the fear doesn't make much sense, purposely facing it over and over can really help. This is called exposure. If you are afraid of things that can hurt you (like being near someone who has been violent towards you in the past) or if the fear is so upsetting it makes you want to hurt yourself or someone else, it can be dangerous to try to expose yourself without the help of a mental health professional experienced in anxiety disorders.

2)Also, when I have a worry thought, I found it very helpful to say to myself "I am not thinking about (insert worry thought here). I am doing a body scan." and then quickly note how I'm feeling in my body (tense? heart racing? butterflies in my stomach? ) paying attention to my body, even if it was just for 20 seconds helped me focus on something other than the thoughts, and then i would go right back to what i was doing.

3) Remember that you are not choosing to have these thoughts, and that they do not mean you are crazy, a bad person, or going to act on them.

4) if you are at home and the anxiety is really strong try filling up a large bucket or bowl with ice water and sticking you face in it as long as you can, or taking a very cold shower for 5 minutes. the extreme cold makes it very hard to focus on the worry thoughts

You may or may not be dealing with intrusive/obsessive thoughts which are possibly related to OCD or another anxiety disorder, but these things still might help. If you have any questions about any of the things I suggested, or would like to talk more about your worry thoughts with someone who has been there and won't judge you, feel free to pm me.

I also strongly reccomend the book "The Imp Of The Mind" by Lee Baer. It give some stories about other people who have struggled with these bad thoughts, and talks about some types of therapy that can help you over come it. Talking to a mental health professional who has experience with anxiety disorders is also a great idea. I found that a lot of people who don't know what its like sometimes give advice that makes it feel worse.

You're not alone.
Megan

When the patient's body has betrayed them,
and all the sciencewe have to offer has failed them,
when worst-case scenario comes true,
clinging to hope is all we've got left.
-grey's.anatomy-

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Steph-O
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stephanie

Re: painful worry/anxiety - December 24th 2009, 04:03 PM

yeah my doc told me I have OCD. I'm on medication for it now.

Like a diet of the mind, I just choose not to indulge certain appetites; like my appetite for patterns; perhaps my appetite to imagine and to dream. - A Beautiful Mind

I met Steven October 3rd, 2008. We've been practically inseperable ever since. ♥
  Send a message via AIM to darkinnocenteyes Send a message via Skype™ to darkinnocenteyes 
Closed Thread