TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CielleRavyncatt Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Are random issues something more? - January 21st 2010, 04:04 AM

I keep having random little bouts of anxiety and I'll just stop breathing out of no where and I don't notice it until I take a huge gasp of air. I have the hardest time getting to sleep at night because I keep having scary images and I'm afraid of nightmares. Should I be worried about these and see a doctor or will they just pass on their own?

Last edited by Prozac; January 21st 2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Moved to Anxiety forum

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: Are random issues something more? - January 21st 2010, 03:03 PM

Hey there,

Panic and anxiety won't kill you or physically harm you, even though I know from experience that it can seem like you're going to die from it! It's not fun. So in that sense, it's not dangerous, no. But if it's interfering with your life (which it sounds like it is) then I would definitely suggest speaking to a doctor to just talk about your anxiety and what's going on, and see if you could speak with a counselor or therapist to work on your anxiety--which can be so beneficial!

Hang in there-
<3

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Are random issues something more? - January 21st 2010, 04:31 PM

Hey,

It sounds like these nightmares and bouts of anxiety are really affecting your life. Everyone feels anxious at times, but when it reaches a point where you cannot go a whole day without experiencing anxiety and nightmares then I feel that it becomes a more serious problem. I would definitely agree that talking to a doctor may be the best thing for you. Talk to your parents, see if they are willing to take you in to see one. You could also consider talking to a counselor at school and seeing what they recommend based on your experiences. I hope that things look up for you soon! It's hard to live with anxiety, but it is definitely something that can be worked through. Try your best to get the help you deserve. PM me anytime, okay? Take care :]

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Adam Offline
Stand in the rain...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: Are random issues something more? - January 21st 2010, 11:34 PM

Hey there,

Anxiety is different in everybody. Depending on who we are some people can experience anxiety but live with it. Other people need help and support because they can't. It's entirely up to you to decide what you want to do. We can't force you to do anything you don't want to (:

Anxiety is the bodies natural response to what it believes to be danger. It releases Adrenalin, Noradrenalin and cortozol. These cause a variety of effects like making the breathing faster, heart faster, 'butterflies in the stomach' effect and more. Obviosuly the difference with anxiety is that the body creates this when there is no danger.

You can control your anxiety by finding your 'triggers'. That being what causes an anxiety attack and try to avoid it. These can be anything from certain conversations, memories to witnessing incidents.

There are other methods to control anxiety, which include medication and CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy). CBT is a type of therapy which aims to change the way you interpret and think about events, to give you a more positive outlook and reduce the risk of any anxiety related issues.

Katrina's NERD.
[/color] [/b][/color] [/right]

(#5 (permalink)) Old
CielleRavyncatt Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Are random issues something more? - January 22nd 2010, 03:02 AM

I really appreciate all the advice.. And sorry for posting in the wrong forum
I'm hoping to talk to my mom this weekend..

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Mannyfresh Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Are random issues something more? - January 30th 2010, 08:08 PM

Hi,

One thing I have found that helps to relax and sort of just get on with daily activities (or really even sleep better) is learning how to meditate in a sense (i know this sounds cliche or naive but just hear me out) or clear your mind by just trying to not think about anything at all for as long as you can. Just try to completely block out all thoughts and sort of focus on things around you (like the road your walking down or the ceiling) but not really think about them. I really think that a lot of anxiety problems comes from too much thinking and we just get overwhelmed.

Closed Thread