TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Lots of irrational fears right now =/ - February 4th 2010, 07:41 PM

So I've always imagined what could go wrong in a situation but lately it's getting worse.

Like the other day I walking to my dad's house and a petrol truck drove past and I got really anxious thinking 'that could blow up'

I'm also petrified of being at my mum's house on my own all night in case someone breaks in. It disrupts my sleep because every noise I hear I have to go and check someone's not there. Sometimes if it gets really bad I'll have to sleep with a knife next to my bed in case someone does break in.

I think up the worst possible things that can happen in every situation I'm in and sometimes I imagine it all happening in my head.

I am going to the doctors about it in my half term but I'm not really sure how to explain anything to them. I'm not so good at telling people how I feel when it's in real life, especially people I don't know. So how do I go about describing how I feel without making myself feel too uncomfortable?
Also, I'm scared that the doctors will take my blood, does this sound like something they'd need to take blood tests for?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: Lots of irrational fears right now =/ - February 4th 2010, 09:07 PM

In some ways, i go through something similar but mine is on a smaller-scale and it's mostly linked with OCD.
Anyway, i'm really proud of you for having the courage to book that doctor's appointment - this is the first step! The second is letting them know everything that's bothering you, in order for them to help you. Yes, it's really awkward and embarrassing but trust me the doctor will not laugh at you or look down upon you - the doctor sees cases like this every single day, and that is his/her job to provide you with medical care and to listen to your problems especially if they are affecting your health.

So try your best to tell them everything. Just know that after this, hopefully you will recieve the correct treatment and you will feel so much better for it and relieved knowing that all it takes is to tell somebody!

As for blood tests, they are usually taken if you show any physical symptoms for certain things, so i wouldn't worry too much.

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: Lots of irrational fears right now =/ - February 5th 2010, 12:27 AM

Hey Cara,

For me, this is completely OCD. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder is an anxiety disorder, and can manifest itself in a lot of different ways. One of them is through obsessions, panicking about worst case scenarios, analyzing different things, getting "stuck" in the cycle of worrying, etc. So that's something to look into.

Either way, definitely a good idea to talk to someone about it. In terms of a blood test, I don't see why that would be necessary, not to worry! Just be honest--let them know how you're feeling, what you're thinking, etc. Give specific examples, like worrying at your mom's house, and just answer their questions honestly--they'll figure it out and ask you more questions if they're still not clear.

Best of luck--it gets better, I promise!
<3

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Silver Dragon Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sarah

Re: Lots of irrational fears right now =/ - February 6th 2010, 10:00 PM

I agree that you should talk to a professional. I've had these irrational fears and a therapist told me once: If you are imagining the worst case scenario then accept that as it is and then anything that happens that isn't the worst doesn't seem as bad.

"Heard melodies are sweet but those unheard are sweeter"

Send a message via MSN to Silver Dragon  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
lostandalone Offline
Forgotten loser
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Erika

Re: Lots of irrational fears right now =/ - February 7th 2010, 01:00 AM

Hi Cara !!

Your symptoms are very similiar to mine so I would also say it is some form of anxiety disorder. ( I have been diagnosed with it) Getting the doctor appointment is definately a good move.
To help you not to feel unconfortable with the doctor, try writing down (in point form) what you want to tell him/her. I did that and it made it easier to tell him and it made sure I didn't miss anything.
Oh, I never had to take a bood test for this
Take care and PM/VM me anytime.

Erika

"Think of your life as a book, move forward, close one chapter and open another." – Unknown

We give each other strength to make it through the darkness." – Silverstein

‎"Life is the art of drawing without an eraser." – John W. Gardner

"It is never too late to be what you might have been." – George Eliot

Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving." – J.K. Rowling

Last edited by lostandalone; February 7th 2010 at 02:25 PM. Reason: added no blood test

Closed Thread