Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
xStarr Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!
xStarr's Avatar
Name: Audrey
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 4
Join Date: December 24th 2009

Who should I talk to? - February 14th 2010, 02:38 AM

I'm pretty sure I have social anxiety...but I don't know who to talk to. What kind of doctor should I speak to, and how do I bring it up? Would a doctor help me to find a therapist? I'm really lost as to what will happen if I decide to actually get help and I hate not knowing about what I'm trying to do, it makes me so much more nervous and makes me worry :/
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough
Batman.'s Avatar
Name: Julz
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 2,724
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: December 14th 2009

Re: Who should I talk to? - February 14th 2010, 05:50 PM

Well I'm pretty sure how it works is, you tell your normal doctor (GP), then from there, they'd recommend a therapist/psychiatrist to diagnose it..?
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough
L'espoir's Avatar
Name: Jen
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: England

Posts: 2,020
Blog Entries: 777
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Who should I talk to? - February 14th 2010, 05:59 PM


If you think you have social anxiety then it's a good idea to go and see your doctor. Your regular GP should be fine; they can sort out therapy if that is what you need. I might be hard to bring up but it can be worth it if it helps you to get the help you need. It might be helpful for you and the doctor if you write down your symptoms and what has been going on beforehand and that way you can just show this to the doctor and it might be easier than saying it (especially if you get nervous when you are there).

I know this is easier said than done but try not to worry about it. Doctors actually see plenty of people about mental health problems and they are used to it; most of them are very understanding! It's ok to be nervous but try and think about the positives of this

Good luck!

PM // VM
Closed Thread



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All material copyright 1998-2020, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints | Mobile

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.