TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
justlikeme0 Offline
Average Joe

i think it might be anxiety/panic attacks..? - February 20th 2010, 08:21 PM

i have these random moments where i just get so scared for my life. when its all over, i realize that there was no real reason for me to be so afraid but in the moment, its so horrible.
im just going to list some of my symptoms to make it easier to read:
-i get so terrified and fear my own saftey
-my thoughts start racing and i cant concentrate
-i constantly have to look over my shoulder to make sure that im really alone.
-i feel the need to get out of wherever i am.
-sometimes i get so scared that i literally cant move
-i start to tremble and shake

basically im just soooo scared for no reason. it makes me feel like im going insane.
this happens randomly but it usually doesnt happen if im around friends and it usually happens everytime i get in the shower (i have a slight fear of the shower)

what is this and what can i do to stop it?

(>^-^)> HUG <(^-^<)

whether the weather is cold
or whether the weather is hot
we'll whether the weather
whatever the weather
whether we like it or not.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: i think it might be anxiety/panic attacks..? - February 20th 2010, 09:02 PM

Dani,

It definitely sounds like anxiety and panic to me. I used to get panic attacks similar to what you're describing, and it's just what you said--in the moment, it feels like you're dying and your life is over, but after, you can calm down and realize it was just panic and anxiety.

Have you ever talked to anyone about this? It sounds like you'd really benefit from some counseling. Medication is also something that a doctor could talk with you about. I REALLY want to encourage you to reach out to a parent or other adult, who can get you to a doctor to talk about this. I promise you it's worth it.

When you feel yourself start to panic, make sure you keep your eyes open. Plant your feet firmly on the ground and literally say (out loud!) "STOP". Tell yourself to stop letting panic overtake you. It's sometimes helpful to talk it through out loud--I used to keep a running dialogue with myself and say things like, "You are fine. It's just a panic attack. It's not going to kill you. You're safe and okay. Breathe." Keep breathing, keep yourself as calm as possible, focus on a calming thought or mantra (like, "I am safe"). Reach out to someone in the moment if that's helpful, too.

Hang in there, Dani. Don't hesitate to PM me if you want to talk more about it!
<3

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
WillO'Wisp Offline
I've been here a while

Re: i think it might be anxiety/panic attacks..? - February 21st 2010, 03:15 AM

I have had panic attacks before when I was younger and beat them. You can't let them control you or get to your head, whenever it starts just take deep breaths, lay down and close your eyes, think of the positive things in your life and good things to look forward to, completely shut it out from your mind and don't allow it to come into your life, shut it out and battle it and it'll go away. I decided to not let it bother me anymore and fought it, and I conquered it and you can too.

Closed Thread