TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Exclamation Getting control back. - February 22nd 2010, 09:36 PM

I've had anxiety problems for a while now, which is why i started seeing a councillor a year back. Shes still helping now.

But no matter how many breathing/relaxtion/control techniqes ive been taught in and out patient, i just cant control it right now. I get myself so worked up and end up having panic atacks. I cant breathe, ill be sick, i wont be able to feel my body, ill go dizy and illo start falling in and out of conciousness. Its just awful and scares the shit out of me. It will happen anywhere. At home, school when im on, on a bus. Anywhere and anytime.

I need you're help guys.
Got any ideas on what i should do?

Thanks

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: Getting control back. - February 22nd 2010, 10:01 PM

Jessica,

Okay the first thing you need to do is to prevent them from happening in the first place. Don't let your mind work yourself up. Turn your thinking around from negative to positive. Tell yourself you aren't in any real danger, you are OK, and you'll get through this. Even when just the least bit of panic comes on, start using these techniques right away. Talk yourself out of the anxiety because it's just your mind playing tricks on you. Sometimes in these situations people end up worrying about having a panic attack. If you think about it, that's just worrying about worrying. Anxiety is simply irrational thoughts, that make no sense, circling through your brain so fast you can't even control it. So the relaxation techniques like breathing help slow the thoughts down, but YOU need to change them. Come up with a plan before you go out somewhere and write some things down. Say if you are going on a bus you can write: 1. I've been on the bus before and I didn't die. 2. If I absolutely need to, I can always ask the bus driver to pull over. 3. There's no real danger on this bus, I'm not going to be eaten by a lion so I'll be alright.

If you can get thr right kind of thoughts circling through your head, it'll drastically change your anxiety. All those physical symptoms are from your mind playing tricks. If you tell yourself you are just fine, your body may start to feel fine. Unconsciously, our minds are connected to our body even when we aren't thinking about is. So once you get your mind under control, the physical symptoms will start to fade. I know first hand how hard anxiety is but with the right thinking, you can get this under control. PM me if you ever need anything.

Take care,

Alessa

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
shiftenter Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Getting control back. - February 25th 2010, 06:59 PM

hey, i get all those sympoms too... i read something about controling them in the moment and weird as it sounds it has worked some for me- when you feel shaking or whatever coming on instead of trying to stop it let it come and then actualy try to make the symptoms more drastic actualy try to push them past their limit... i have no idea how this works but it gets to a point where the shaking ect cant get worse and just stops. im not saying itll work for you but you can try... i hope youll get over this soon

Closed Thread