TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
alonealways Offline
^.^
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jessica

I have a big problem. =/ - March 23rd 2010, 04:58 PM

So lately I have been extremely happy with my life. Everything has been great and I've been really involved with my school. I have dance practices and I have friends there. I was in the school musical and now I hang out with the drama kids all the time. I'm in the top show choir at my school and I have a whole group of people there that care about me.

My only thing is this anxiety is killing me off. I have a really bad cold, I've had it for 6 days and on Friday (my second day of the cold) I had a choir competition. I couldn't let my team down so I went on stage and performed despite the fact that I didn't feel well. Hours later I was hyperventilating. My mom was there with me luckily and she helped me calm down and gave me a soda to open up my lungs since caffiene helps. But after these attacks I get really sore..

It doesn't just happen when I'm worried about me or anything though. I was worried about a friend and my anxiety blew it way out of proportion. He had said he was upset and was getting a blast from the past and I kinda know some things from his past. I put two and two together and freaked out! I tried to talk to him about it but he wouldn't reply, I guess I was being annoying or he was busy or something. I was crying I was so worried and anxious to hear from him. Turns out he was hanging out with friends the whole time and he was fine!

I'm also not at school today cause I played off my cold like it was the first day I got it so I could avoid some stuff. My stomach was in knots because my friend said she had a surprise for me. I don't really like surprises and I warned her about that but she said it'd make me laugh. But I went to bed nervous about what it was going to be and I woke up feeling extremely sick because I was anxious.

How do I fix this?? It's controlling my life. I shake over the littlest things. I cry when nothing is really the matter at all but in my mind it's the WORST thing. I think people hate me if they don't acknowledge me and then I feel like I have no friends when I KNOW that's not true.. I hate this so much. Any advice??

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: I have a big problem. =/ - March 23rd 2010, 06:02 PM

I know exactly how you feel. I recently started getting symptoms of anxiety for no reason and it got to the point that it was a daily occurrence, for three months I had constant symptoms of anxiety. I recently got fed up, because it was affecting every aspect of my life and I went to see my doctor. I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and now I am on medication that will help me get through any attacks. If your anxiety is interfering with your daily life that is often a sign that you need to speak to a doctor or psychologist about getting treatment so you can begin to enjoy yourself again, because like you said you're extremely happy with things, so you deserve to be able to get back to how things were.

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

(#3 (permalink)) Old
alonealways Offline
^.^
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jessica

Re: I have a big problem. =/ - March 28th 2010, 03:25 PM

I hate medicine. =/ ugh.

Is it possible to have general anxiety and separation anxiety?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: I have a big problem. =/ - March 28th 2010, 06:19 PM

Hey there,

Yes it's possibile to have both I'm pretty sure, but I'm not a doctor. Medicine isn't the only alternative though. There are types of therapy called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) which works on coping strategies and ways of turning your thoughts around. Basically, deep breathing is extremely helpful in slowing down your racing mind. Then you have to start thinking differently. Rather than "Oh my God I'm freaking out I'm sick I'm going to die." you have to try and think logically like "I just have a cold. I'm not going to die. I may not feel perfect but I'm going to be okay." Since thinking logically in situations like these may seem almost impossible in the moment, it takes practice in change your thought habbits. After a while, the bad thoughts start to come unconsiously which makes it even harder to change. So I really advise therapy.

Also, don't be afraid to tell people in your life about your anxiety. Like it's okay to say to your friend "I know this may sound stupid to you but I get anxious over the littlest things and surprises are one of them so it'd be helpful if you just tell me what it is or don't tell me about it in the future." It's also really nice when people around you know about your anxiety because then they can help uplift you by telling you you're okay. It's much easier to hear from another person when you can't tell yourself. Plus, it seems to help me when my friends know I'm nervous and they start making me laugh to distract my mind, and soon enough I forget what I was even anxious about! Just remember, anxiety is irrational thinking, so if you can get your mind to think rationally, you should feel a lot better. If you ever want to talk, I'm always here.

Hang in there,

Alessa

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

Closed Thread