TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ngikhona Offline
Inkululeko.
I've been here a while

Name: Keeley Siobhan

Medications for anxiety. - March 31st 2010, 07:26 AM

So at my appointment with my psychiatrist on Monday I was prescribed a change in medicine (switched SSRIs) and also prescribed some Xanax for anxiety and panics. My questions are: what sort of experiences have you had with Xanax and (if you take it on an as-needed basis, as opposed to a daily basis) how much do you have to take to calm down? My psychiatrist said he didn't want me to take it every day and I can take it as needed and he gave me some general guidelines, but I'm just not sure what to expect with how much I'll need or what it'll do. >_<

"Love me for me, accept the fact I'm true, live like I want, fufill my dreams,
Dream of me, run out free, capture your words and never let them go."

I'll see you on the other side.

Last edited by Ngikhona; March 31st 2010 at 11:44 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Medications for anxiety. - March 31st 2010, 08:31 PM

I was prescribed Xanax (as well as Klonopin, also a benzo) for anxiety and insomnia related to SSRI use. Usually it only takes one pill (.25mg) to calm me down, though I don't regularly have intense panic attacks. I'd recommend starting with a low dose just to see how it makes you feel, higher doses can cause mild sedation. I was feeling particularly awful yesterday and took five pills (1.25mg) -- I slept for 18 hours straight but experienced no side effects besides drowsiness. I believe the maximum dosage is supposed to be 4mg per day, though this may vary based on weight, indication, etc. Definitely don't take a dose like that without talking to your psychiatrist first.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
lostandalone Offline
Forgotten loser
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Erika

Re: Medications for anxiety. - April 1st 2010, 09:11 AM

I started off with a daily low dose, but that was increased during therapy. Noe I only take it as needed.

I had no side effects other than being tired. It helped to keep the anxiety driven feelings to a level I could control.

"Think of your life as a book, move forward, close one chapter and open another." Unknown

We give each other strength to make it through the darkness." Silverstein

‎"Life is the art of drawing without an eraser." John W. Gardner

"It is never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving." J.K. Rowling

(#4 (permalink)) Old
nobody123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Medications for anxiety. - April 1st 2010, 10:26 PM

I was prescribed .1 mg on top of some other meds, SSRIs etc, to take as-needed for anxiety, similar to you I believe. I found it to be pretty helpful especially when things were just out of control and I couldn't function because of my anxiety. I'm pretty small, only about [Edited: Please do not post weight numbers. It's against our rules.] lbs, so .1 mg was enough for me to feel an effect. It may vary though, I'm not sure. For me, .1 mg got rid of nearly all of my physical symptoms of anxiety and helped me relax enough to deal with whatever the problem was. It did make me a bit sleepy, so I wouldn't take it before you have to do something super important, but it wasn't so bad that I couldn't function, not even close. I've even performed while on it. I just wouldn't want to take a long test or something. That said it does help me fall asleep if I need to.

Overall I've had a good experience with Xanax. No complaints really, it does the job just about perfectly.

Last edited by Mel; April 2nd 2010 at 12:25 AM.

Closed Thread