TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dustin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Dustin

Klonopin - May 17th 2010, 09:56 PM

Has anyone here ever been prescribed Klonopin for anxiety? My psychiatrist just prescribed it. and I have taken one so far and it just makes me feel good like I don't care what happens...

I was just wondering if anyone else had any experiences...
  Send a message via AIM to Dustin Send a message via MSN to Dustin Send a message via Yahoo to Dustin  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Klonopin - May 17th 2010, 10:37 PM

I used to take Klonopin as a sleep aid when my psych had me on SSRI's. It definitely helped for anxiety, but I'd usually use benadryl instead to help me sleep. IMO, Xanax works better for anxiety and acute depressive episodes, but they're both pretty similar and in the same class of drugs. Either can cause dependence/withdrawal, so it's best to take them only as needed.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: Klonopin - May 20th 2010, 05:25 PM

I've been on Clonazepam since February and haven't found that I needed to take them very often, just having them seems to help my anxiety somewhat. However, my experiences have been pretty good, they calm me down but I do find that they make me sleep a lot the next day, which is apparently normal.

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: Klonopin - May 20th 2010, 05:43 PM

I went through a period of time where my body was incredibly dependent on Klonopin, for the exact reason you described--it kind of "numbs you out", and makes you hazy and feel calm and good. Which is nice for when you need it, but speaking from experience, I'm urging you to be careful--because what can happen is, your body gets so used to that numbed-out state that if it's in it too often, it forgets how to deal with just being normal (i.e. not on klonopin), and NOT taking it becomes incredibly hard. I can explain it further if you want. Anyway, the point is, it is a great tool, but only as needed. Be very cautious to only use it when it's necessary!

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: Klonopin - May 22nd 2010, 08:00 PM

I totally agree with Jen. I take it as needed and my doctor is very good about keeping a close watch on my use of it, to make sure I don't get dependent on it. If this is something you need often, I would probably suggest talking it over with your doctor. Otherwise, for a needs only basis, it's good.

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Dustin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Dustin

Re: Klonopin - May 23rd 2010, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I went through a period of time where my body was incredibly dependent on Klonopin, for the exact reason you described--it kind of "numbs you out", and makes you hazy and feel calm and good. Which is nice for when you need it, but speaking from experience, I'm urging you to be careful--because what can happen is, your body gets so used to that numbed-out state that if it's in it too often, it forgets how to deal with just being normal (i.e. not on klonopin), and NOT taking it becomes incredibly hard. I can explain it further if you want. Anyway, the point is, it is a great tool, but only as needed. Be very cautious to only use it when it's necessary!
What do you mean it "numbs" you out?
  Send a message via AIM to Dustin Send a message via MSN to Dustin Send a message via Yahoo to Dustin  
Closed Thread