TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
thewickedcity Offline
Average Joe

Name: Rachel

Treatment Alternatives for Anxiety - June 11th 2010, 07:58 PM

Sorry this is so long! You can skip to the question part if you want.

Background info - I've struggled with pretty bad anxiety for the last two years. I was officially diagnosed with Panic Disorder when everything first started but I'm not sure if that's really an accurate diagnosis at this point as I rarely have actual panic attacks anymore. I deal with my anxiety in other ways everyday though. When I first started having these issues I had to quit my job and I barely graduated high school because I had trouble attending school my senior year. I went on to college this year anyway and was usually able to cope (although I did miss quite a few days) and eventually I got a job (a few jobs actually) but things have gotten really bad again and I'm now unemployed again. Luckily school is over for the summer so I don't have to worry about that right now. But even with minimal stress, I am constantly anxious. I can't seem to shake it. It's so frustrating.. it kills me to think of what this anxiety has taken away from me. I just want it to stop controlling my life like this.. I want to be able to go back to 'normal' and live my life the way I want.

I've been on three medications (Prozac, Paxil and Buspar) and have also seen quite a few therapists and an adolescent psychiatrist. I have tried all their suggestions and nothing has seemed to work so far. I just end up back where I started.

Question - Besides traditional therapy (CBT) and medication, what other treatments are there? I've heard of acupuncture and also day treatment programs (or partial hospitalization). Has anyone tried either of these? Or know of any other treatments? I'm open to traditional medicine and alternative stuff (like the acupuncture.) Any & all suggestions appreciated. :]
  Send a message via AIM to thewickedcity Send a message via Yahoo to thewickedcity  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Treatment Alternatives for Anxiety - June 11th 2010, 08:25 PM

There are a lot of natural things you can do to help with anxiety. Things like limiting or eliminating caffeine from your diet. Doing things like yoga to help you relax and de-stress. Take time out of each day to calm yourself and refocus can really help. Outside of doing things like that, I am not sure. I have GAD and have been diagnosed with it for over a year now, but I don’t take the medication they recommend. I firmly believe that this is something I can do on my own, with alterations to my diet and stress level.

I hope you can find something that works for you. Have you talked to your doctor about things you can do outside of medication that can help with your anxiety?

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#3 (permalink)) Old
thewickedcity Offline
Average Joe

Name: Rachel

Re: Treatment Alternatives for Anxiety - June 13th 2010, 02:43 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate it. I think I should really start exercising on a regular basis.. I hear it can really help. I don't drink much caffeine.. I try to stay away from it for this reason.

I haven't really talked much lately with my doctor about this because she always insists on the medicine which I'm not a huge fan of and just haven't had good luck with in the past.

Though I think at this point I need something more intense, which is why I'm considering going into a day treatment or partial hospitalization program.

Thanks again for your help
  Send a message via AIM to thewickedcity Send a message via Yahoo to thewickedcity  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: Treatment Alternatives for Anxiety - June 14th 2010, 01:02 AM

I've done a lot of research on this topic recently both for university (i'm studying psychology) as well as for my own benefit since I was diagnosed about 6 months ago with GAD. Everything works differently for different people, but the things that I have found work best for people is meditation and yoga, dietary changes, daily exercise or exercise when you're feeling a panic attack coming on or more anxious than normal. There is also options of more natural medicines, I know several people who have tried Chinese medicines like different herbs and oils. From the people I've talked to acupuncture hasn't helped them much or it's been a temporary fix as in being okay for one or two days afterwards. It's really a trial and error thing, but I think the best thing to start with is adjusting your diet (limiting caffeine and sugar) and trying out some sort of exercise whether it's yoga or whatever else you're interested in. Let us know how things work out for you!

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

Closed Thread