TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ice Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Jack

Nervous About First Appt! - July 5th 2010, 02:46 AM

My first therapy appointment is tomorrow! I have been freaking out about it since I set it up. I just keep worrying about it. All these questions going through my head and worries.

I'm scared to tell him everything, for some reason I feel like he's going to try and have me committed! I don't know what to say to him the first time, I don't ever express my feelings to anyone, except my mom, but I dont tell her a lot of it. Plus, I have trust issues I really want to get help, I can't take it anymore, I'm just scared!
  Send a message via AIM to Ice Send a message via MSN to Ice Send a message via Yahoo to Ice Send a message via Skype™ to Ice 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: Nervous About First Appt! - July 5th 2010, 03:24 AM

Don't feel like you have to completely open up and spill everything the first time. Your therapist will understand that it's your first session and don't hesitate to tell them you have no idea what to expect. They'll probably explain the basic outline of a session, what they like to do, etc, and let it go from there. =]

Many therapists understand that patients have trust issues or don't feel comfortable opening up, so try not to panic yourself. Just take it one session at a time and see what happens.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
AllyCat.x Offline
Exploitation is Contagious
Not a n00b

Name: Ally

Re: Nervous About First Appt! - July 5th 2010, 03:47 AM

Relax, breathe.

My first therapy appointment was kinda scary at first... but really he'll ask the questions and he probably won't mind if you just shake your head. Normally, they start the conversations... all you have to do is talk!

Goodluck!

Secret Love...
My escape...
Take me far, far away...
Secret Love?...
Are you there?...
Can you answer my prayer ?...

Please take me
anywhere but here

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Nervous About First Appt! - July 5th 2010, 09:11 PM

Just chill out and take some deep breaths. Many times the first time they will asks you basic questions anyway and you do not get into details.

If you would feel better doing so try to write down your worries and give them to him sometimes this can help and you can explain your trust issues.

As for having you committed they usually will only do that with adults if they feel you are a SERIOUS risk to yourself or others.

Just relax and go in with an open mind.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ice Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Nervous About First Appt! - July 5th 2010, 11:23 PM

Thanks everyone! I just got back from my first appointment, it wasn't as bad as I thought. He went over family history, then we just talked for a bit. He made me an appointment with a Psychiatrist (as well as with him), so I could see about getting medications.

My Psychiatrist appointment isn't for a month tho (Aug. 5th). But I see him again next week. He said he believes I have Social Anxiety, Depression & OCD. So it all went well, looks like I wont be as nervous going back a second time. I guess its just me being paranoid, but for some reason I felt like he thought I was lying to him, but then again, I always feel like no one believes me.
  Send a message via AIM to Ice Send a message via MSN to Ice Send a message via Yahoo to Ice Send a message via Skype™ to Ice 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Nervous About First Appt! - July 6th 2010, 12:09 AM

Good for you for going and relaxing. What makes you think he thought you were lying to him?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Ice Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Nervous About First Appt! - July 6th 2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love dogs View Post
Good for you for going and relaxing. What makes you think he thought you were lying to him?
I don't know, its just a feeling I always get, I always get nervous and feel like people think I'm lying to them.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Nervous About First Appt! - July 6th 2010, 12:36 AM

Well, you might as well tell him that. I would not worry about offending a psychologist. For example, I would imagine that if you say "You are probably the dumbest person I ever met," then instead of feeling offended, the psychologist should analyze why you said that and how to constructively deal with any emotional problems that may have led to it, because that is his job. He should be prepared to encounter clients who display behavior a thousand times more irritating than that; those people need his services.

Closed Thread