TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
charmbraceletxo Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Panic attacks over HAIR? - November 5th 2010, 08:48 PM

I apologize in advance for the lengthiness of this post, but I’m desperate. I’ve had issues with obsessive thoughts and compulsive tendencies throughout my life, but as of recently, they’re become progressively worse. I’ve no clue as to why it seems to be the object of my obsessiveness, but I’m constantly experiencing anxiety over my hair. Since I was approximately ten or eleven years old, I’ve constantly tried manipulating my hair—either to resemble that of a celebrity’s (obviously when I was much younger), to preserve my blondeness (seeing as how my once-naturally blonde hair started turning to a dirty, dishwater-type of blonde around that age), etc., etc. When I was in the eighth grade I attempted dying my hair golden-bleach blonde (ref. Jessica Simpson), and of course, accidentally ended up with canary-yellow hair. I attempted to fix it myself with another at-home hair dye kit—only this time, in all of my ingeniousness, using a dark-ash-blonde hair dye to “neutralize” the yellowish tones. Again, needless to say, I messed up…ended up with green/gray tips and reddish/brown roots…and had to seek help from a professional hair stylist (which I should’ve done in the first, but seeing as how I was fourteen at the time, I couldn’t have even single-handedly have financed a new pair of shoes, let alone an expensive highlighting/dye job). Anyway, the saga continues. Due to my maltreatment of my hair, it became so incredibly thin and fragile that I ended up having to wear clip-in extensions to feel even relatively attractive—and still to this day (now approximately two years later), I’m still wearing them (although my hair is getting better). I had a panic attack the other day because I attempted cutting my extensions myself, and yet again (as it appears that I never learn my lesson), messed up and had to go to a salon and have them cleaned up. Although I’m complacent now, I know that within a few short weeks, I’ll feel that my extensions aren’t “thick” enough, long enough, or SOMETHING…and of course, feel the urge to mess around with them again. I’ve spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on my hair in the past couple of years…and so, this issue of mine is both psychologically and FINANCIALLY taxing. I’m embarrassed by the triviality of my obsession—I mean, who obsesses this much over hair? Needless to say, I need to get a grip…I’m sick to death of feeling as though my happiness and sense of self is contingent upon the condition of my stupid hair. I’ve no idea when/where/why “hair” became such an issue for me…but I need help :/ I’ve destroyed my hair, nearly ruined relationships, missed classes AND work, and spent an overabundance of money all due to my HAIR. To clarify, it’s not so much an issue of “vanity” as it is that I don’t feel secure unless my hair is just “so”, if that makes any sense (for instance, if I feel as though my extensions aren’t thick enough or something, I absolutely HAVE to fix it otherwise I won’t be able to do or concentrate on anything else). Can anyone relate? I’m desperate, as this ridiculous problem is seriously ruining my life. I'm sick of the anxiety and the recurrent panic attacks.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
charmbraceletxo Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Panic attacks over HAIR? - November 6th 2010, 09:00 PM

Anyone? :[

(#3 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Panic attacks over HAIR? - November 6th 2010, 09:16 PM

Hey there,

I'm sorry you haven't had a response yet! But I'll try my best to make you feel a little better

I think I have the sameish sort of hair as you, when I was younger it was a lovely blonde, then it went dirty and horrible. Fortunately, my mother is a hairdresser so I'm able to get things done easily, and my knowledge on hair styling and dying is quite good, so I'll answer your questions if you have any!

As for what I've done with my hair, I've had every colour imaginable! I've had pink, purple, blue, red, black and blonde! But right now, I'm all over blonde, (Not quite 'bleach' blonde) but very blonde. I've kept it really long with a sweeping fringe and it' relatively thick in itself, but I'd love to have extensions as well.

I understand your 'obsession' with your hair, after having bad experiences with it, you're likely to worry over it to try and get it to look right all the time. I think you should try to remember that doing it yourself at home, very rarely ends well! So whenever you want to do something to your hair, get it done professionally! Atleast then it'll be done right and you won't need to get upset over it. So try to save up money and get it done professionally.

I know it must be hard for you, but I'd like to help you through it if you'd like. So message me if you'd like to talk some more. Take care.

Closed Thread