TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Frangelina Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Fran

ARGGHH!! - November 5th 2010, 09:56 PM

Since two weeks ago when i stopped my medication Ive lost nearly a stone.. on monday i felt drained due to lack of food so went and bought some caffeine tablets. Ive been having 2/3 a day since then just to keep me going really.
Its affected my sleep a lot and im only really getting about 4 hours if im lucky.

For a bit now Ive been having what i think is like a panic attack..
- feeling like i cant breathe
- shaky hands
- feeling dizzy
- pins and needles in my hands and feet that comes on quick.

I cant even look at myself in the mirror because im that worried about how i look. At every opportunity im weighing myself to see if Ive lost even a little weight. I Can't bring myself to eat or drink infront of anyone because i think that everyone is thinking that im fat and greedy. Im really paranoid that people are talking about me and laughing at me. I cant look people in the face anymore when they talk to me and i don't speak up in college anymore.
ive bitten all my nails off because im that nervous or anxious about stuff and Ive recognised that im constantly biting my lips or the inside of my mouth or tensing my jaw or grinding my teeth.

thing is though i don't even feel myself getting worried, im just like on edge all the time.. until i get the feeling that i cant breathe then i really panic.

I told my nurse that im starting to feel a bit anxious but he didn't really suggest anything, however i didn't tell him that i had stopped my medication or that i was taking caffeine to keep me going..

Don't really know what im asking here just wanted a little help, suggestions or support please?

chesca xox

LIVE

LOVE

LIFE

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Twisted_Knife Offline
Cherish the moments <3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Smile It'll Be Okay. :) - November 11th 2010, 05:41 PM

Hey Frangelina

I'm sorry that you're dealing with this. I am also dealing anxeity myself. >_<

If all this is messing with your daily life habits, then maybe seeing someone may be in your best interest. Even if you aren't sure about how to approach your problem, sometimes talking to someone about it face to face can help you in more ways than one.

I had just started seeing a therapist and it's definitely a little nerve-wracking at first, but just remember that they're there to listen to you and to help you. They only want to make you feel comfortable. Of course, it can be a trial and error process in finding the right one, so don't be discouraged if the first try doesn't go as well as you've hoped.

But if there's any advice I can give to you, please, if you can, try to get a little more sleep, bit by bit. I know it may be very difficult for you, so take your time and don't rush into trying to get better in your sleep habits. I find that after a good night's sleep, I feel slightly more ready to face anxiety. Everyone's different of course, but sleep is essential to staying health in both body and mind. And also, try eating healthier foods as well, such as fruits, veggies, and the like. Exercising has been proven to help as well. I go for a bike ride at times, and though it's not extensive exercise, it leaves me feeling refreshed and gives me time to clear my head.

For social situations, I can totally understand what you're going through. It's extremely difficult to face people when you have all this stuff on your mind. I deal with the same thing, but just with a different anxiety. I find that listening to music and tuning out the world (when it's appropriate) works wonders on my busy mind. Just let the music course through you if you can, and let it make you think of other (and better) things. Or bring something along with you that can help keep your mind off of your anxiety. I find that distractions can keep me from having panic attacks at times. Granted, it doesn't always work, but it helps.

As for your anxiety about self image, I understand that it can be difficult to accept yourself. But maybe this one activity can help.
If you possibly can, look at yourself in the mirror and instead of focussing on the negative things, look at things about yourself that are positive. Think of at least 3 good things about yourself. (and it doesn't have to be looks alone! you can also think of your personality)

If you can't look in the mirror, then write it down on a piece of paper, or in a journal. Keep these positive things in mind as you go about your business every day. Think good thoughts about yourself. It's hard to keep up, but I know you can do it. ^^ And when things bother you, write those down in a journal too. I feel that writing can be one of the best releases. I hope that it'll work for you as well, and I strongly recommend it.

I hope you feel better soon! I'm very sorry that you feel this way around others and around yourself. If you want to, seek help and I think you'll start to feel much better. Remember, there is nothing wrong with seeking help, and don't let others tell you otherwise.

(Ahh! Sorry this was so long!) I hoped this reply helped you out. Take care of yourself okay?

- Twisted_Knife <3

Closed Thread