TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
liiindsey Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Exclamation Social anxiety? - January 29th 2011, 02:54 PM

So I've been shy for as long as I can remember.. When I was younger it wasn't that big of a deal,I made friends in elementary school... But now I'm 15 and I'm in high school and this "shyness" is really starting to take over my life. Whenever I'm in big groups of people (usually more than three) I get really nervous and I don't talk. This usually happens at school... I have a 2 pretty close friends, one I've known since I was in diapers... Lol. The other I have known since about 5th grade. I'm not so close to him anymore, but that's a different story. Anyways, perfectly fine when im around thrm but whenever I'm around a big group o people I don't know (especially during school , when I'm in class) I do not talk at all and if I do I talk really quietly.. I never know what to say and I usually panic when someone talks to me...I feel like what I have to say isn't important. I don't want to be known as 'that awkward girl that never talks'... I really want to be social and have lots of friends.. I want to be outgoing and I want to be myself around people!! It's getting to the point where I don't even know what I'm doing... I can't think straight. I just don't feel like myself.
I have a boyfriend, we have been together about 5 months. Whenever I'm around him outside of school I'm really outgoing and loud, but I school I just shut down and I hardly talk to him. I don't want to seem like two different people! He's asked me before why I'm so quiet, I told him that I'm just shy and I have been my whole life and so have my parents. Which is true but now this is more than just being a little shy... Like isaid it's really affecting my life! My parents told me that i'll grow out of t when i older... But i feel like i never will! I dont want the rest of highschool and possibly colloege to be like this! feel trapped inside myself, if that makes sense... I know I can do better than this, and I want to but I just don't know how! What should I do to get over this? I can't live like this my whole life... I feel like If I don't do somethig now than I won't be able to fix this problem.
Sorry for writing so much... I'd appreciate any advice you have to offer... Maybe some personal expirences you'd like to share? Thanks so much!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Social anxiety? - January 29th 2011, 03:28 PM

Heyy. i feel exactly the same tbh. i've only got a few close friends too, and around them i'm loud, i like to laugh and i'm only quiet when i'm upset or depressed. but when i'm with people who i'm not friends with or not used to, i dont really talk - or i try my best not to have to incase i muck up what i'm saying and come across as kinda' pathetic.
so you're not alone with this. i was told to see a counsillor or someone, i havnt done that yet and i dont know when or if i will, but if you want to talk feel free to message me or something. it might put your mind at rest to know that someone feels the same or something? i don't know, but yeah - any time you wanna' talk, i'm open for it.

- H. x

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#3 (permalink)) Old
liiindsey Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Social anxiety? - January 31st 2011, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safe-inside-my-head View Post
Heyy. i feel exactly the same tbh. i've only got a few close friends too, and around them i'm loud, i like to laugh and i'm only quiet when i'm upset or depressed. but when i'm with people who i'm not friends with or not used to, i dont really talk - or i try my best not to have to incase i muck up what i'm saying and come across as kinda' pathetic.
so you're not alone with this. i was told to see a counsillor or someone, i havnt done that yet and i dont know when or if i will, but if you want to talk feel free to message me or something. it might put your mind at rest to know that someone feels the same or something? i don't know, but yeah - any time you wanna' talk, i'm open for it.

- H. x
Thanks so much (: I really appreciate that... I used to see a therapist but it was for completely different reasons... Which I am over now. Everyday feels like a struggle for me though.. I want to tell my self to just let it go, an stop caring but it's not that easy.... I wish it was... I feel like I might fall into another depression again... And I reaally don't want that.. I get so scared sometimes....I hate living like this and I need to change it asap!!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Social anxiety? - January 31st 2011, 05:52 PM

It's okay I hope you start to feel happier soon, my best wishes are with you like i said, if you wanna talk PM me and i'll do my best to help ya

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

Closed Thread