TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Chromata Offline
Princess Extraordinaire
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Holly

How do I talk about this w/ my therapist? - February 16th 2011, 04:51 AM

Okay, I'll get straight to the point: I think I might have OCD.

Reason 1: I'm a total freak about seeing garbage on the floor, especially at school. When I was in the cafeteria a few weeks ago I saw a bunch of stuff on the floor and I just had to pick it up. I get very annoyed about this stuff all the time, actually.

Reason 2: I have this scary thing about organization. One example: I've been known to go and organize my study hall teacher's markers so that all of the colors are together as they should be and that all the caps are in the same direction. No joke.

Reason 3: I have a time issue. I cannot stand an out-of-date calendar, a clock that's not set properly, or clocks that aren't aligned with each other.

Reason 4: I have to tell my loved ones that I love them whenever they go anywhere outside the building I'm in. If I don't I get freaked out that they won't know I care about them if something were to happen to them. (Similarly, I constantly fear that something bad is going to happen to someone I care about if they go too far away or if they go too far away from me alone.)

Reason 5 (and this is the big one): I've been having strange images pop into my head for years. I've been so freaked out that I was going to say certain "bad things" to certain people or do unacceptable things in public (like disrobing). I know this would never happen, but I'm so afraid it'll happen anyway. Some of these images are triggered and those ones are so strong that I cannot be around those triggers. (Most of them are musical triggers.)

There are a few other compulsion-like things that I have (like making sure I locked the door or turned off a light, etcetera), but those aren't quite as alarming. My study hall teacher and I have had a running joke for several years about reason 2, but she doesn't know about the big picture and the fact that, in all truth, it's not so funny. (It's only made worse by the fact that some of the most distressing images have involved her.) I've got an appointment coming up with my therapist on Thursday. She already came up with the diagnosis of OCD tendencies a few years ago (around the same time I was diagnosed as bipolar). However, I'm afraid this is getting past the tendencies bit. Does anyone have any advice on how to broach this subject with my therapist?

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning." -- Louis L'Amour

Last edited by Chromata; February 16th 2011 at 04:58 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
you'rebeautiful Offline
believe it :)
Average Joe

Name: Ada

Re: How do I talk about this w/ my therapist? - February 16th 2011, 09:34 PM

Hi there (:
I'm really sorry things have gotten so stressful, but I'm glad that you're ready to talk to your therapist about it. As for broaching the topic, it looks like you have a really good start already, having written down reasons 1-5. I would suggest telling your therapist that you've noticed some compulsive behaviors, some of which are triggered by things that make you anxious... and that you were wondering if you could list them off for her, because it's becoming more distressing. If saying it flat-out is at all uncomfortable, then you might consider just giving her the list to read =] it's already done.
I hope it all works out beautifully.
<3
Ada.

I believe thatyou're inherently beautiful : )

Closed Thread