TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

panic attacks - June 5th 2011, 09:48 AM

I keep having them, they seem to happen more in crowded places than anywhere else, but I have them at home too like at night if I hear a strange noise or something scares me I have a panic attack. Last night I went clubbing - was fine for about 2 hours and then broke down in the middle of the club lent up against a pole crying the crying went from that to being sat on the steps of the reception of the club and me panicking and then me outside in the fresh air sat on the pavement/floor outside panicking. this one lasted for half an hour ? any suggestions on how to stop them. I have found sometimes sucking a mint helps me and breathing slowly helps me but I am beginning to find this is not even working any suggestions on what I can do to stop them abit ? Also last night before I really panicked I kept pushing the panic attack back down inside me which I don't think helped the situation at all. so what I was wondering is does anybody have any suggestions as to how to make them easier to sort of get through with because I still want to go out with my friends and avoiding crowded places is not always easy as I sometimes find if I am on a bus and it happens I cannot just avoid buses as I need to use buses everyday to travel to and from work .

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: panic attacks - June 5th 2011, 01:39 PM

I've heard finding an object and focusing on it (describing it in you head or to a friend) can help. Just focusing on the object and the details. The best thing would probably be to go to a counselor specialized in helping with panic attacks.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
southernbell88 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: panic attacks - June 6th 2011, 06:31 PM

Hi! I have anxiety and panic disorder as well so I know what you're experiencing. It's really scary when they happen..I think I'm dying and I even went to the emergency room one night! The anxiety is the worse part for me and I ended up going on meds because I was so miserable. I do think, however, panic attacks are easier to overcome without having to go on medicine because you learn to know what they are when they happen. The best advice my psychologist gave me is when it happens, do your best to ignore it. Even though you feel awful inside just keep talking to your friends and dancing. It will be really hard not to want to go run away and hide in the bathroom (it was for me) but if you don't then you'll condition your mind to think you have to hide or do something else in order to survive through it. If it's all in your mind then what's the worse that could happen? Try really hard to remember this while it happens. Whenever I get dizzy or that tingly feeling I just let it happen and pass and keep on doing the dishes or whatever; I've found that the attacks have less and less power over me. Basically the more attention you pay to them and the more you fear and try to avoid the next one coming, the worse it will become. I hope I was able to help some and good luckk!

Closed Thread