TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
kyranwhitehead Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: kyran whitehead

Question social anxiety - June 8th 2011, 09:40 PM

i hav recently been lookin into social anxiety because i get extremely nervous over simple social events and i beleive that i have it. for example im learnin to drive, im having 1 lesson a week. a day or a couple of hours before the actual lesson i start to feel really nervous. but when im actually havin the lesson im fine and enjoyin it. despite this, before every lesson i still get nervous even though i know i'll be fine. does anyone hav any tips on bein able to ease my nervousness a bit. i wuld really apreciate it thank u

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: social anxiety - June 9th 2011, 12:57 AM

Just because you have anxiety once in a while doesn't mean you have an anxiety disorder. Now I'm not saying you don't, just try not to jump to conclusions. Now it sounds like before your driving lessons you are having anticipation anxiety. For something like driving, that's completely normal. Driving is very stressful and can cause anxiety. Emotions don't always make sense but there are ways to deal with them. For example, try telling yourself you've done this before and it was all fine so you can do it again. Also use deep breathing techniques. You can breathe in and tense up your whole body then breathe out and relax as much as possible. You can also count to 10 breathing in then count to 10 breathing out. This forces your body to slow itself down when it is speeding itself up due to your emotions. I hope it gets better soon.
Let me know if you want to talk at all,
Alessa

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
kyranwhitehead Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: kyran whitehead

Re: social anxiety - June 9th 2011, 08:13 PM

Hi Alessa,
Thank u for the tips u have given me. I used driving lessons as an example cuz thats the main thing thats been affecting me recently. even get togethers with family members make me nervous too, i tend to just keep quiet and let everyone else talk. im not an easy person to make a conversation with, im scared that if i say something i might humiliate myself for some reason.

thank u again for the tips, i really appreciate it
Kyran

Closed Thread