TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ShesNotThere Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lee

Build My Confidence - June 13th 2011, 04:08 AM

So when I'm around friends or people I know, I'm not that shy. I've actually gotten louder. But when more than a few people are listening to me, I get really nervous and self conscious. I hate presenting projects in school and I freak out even if I raise my hand to answer a question. I blush like crazy, shake, and my hands get all clammy.

I thought I might outgrow it, but it seems to be slowly getting worse.

I want to try speaking up in class more and stop having heart attacks whenever I talk. Any tips?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Build My Confidence - June 13th 2011, 09:54 AM

Hey Sam,

I know how this feels and I can totally relate. I think a key to finding ways to overcome this is to tell people. I think if you tell someone they'll be able to understand what goes on when you need to publicly speak more, and that way they'll be able to support you when you have to do so and try to calm your nerves. Over coming shyness is never easy and it never will be, but the fact you want to do that is brilliant!

As hard as it may seem, even just putting your hand up more despite your uncomfort may help. Try to reassure yourself that even if you make a mistake or something, it's going to go well and you're going to be proud of yourself. Even if you don't fully believe it, try to make yourself believe it. It will help. Also, if you feel yourself panicing, take a deep breath, close your eyes for a moment, then continue. Don't rush and don't force yourself to carry on if you really don't feel you can. It's important to stay healthy while you're overcoming this rather than making yourself panic too much to cope. If it comes to having to stop, calmly ask someone if you can have a moment to gather yourself and then continue when you can. I'm sure anyone would be happy with this.

Good luck with this. You're free to PM me if you ever need to speak!
Hollie.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

Closed Thread