TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
daisyduck Offline
Average Joe

Name: Samantha

Nightmares/PTSD - August 5th 2011, 10:49 PM

Hi. I'm pretty new here. I hope this is in the right place. I've been diagnosed with ptsd/anxiety as well as a depression for quite a time now, however everything is getting so much worse. The panic attacks and major lows have been messing with my life, my startle response (i flinch when people touch me, sometimes scream, i also gasp if someone walks in unannounced) is getting increasingly worse to the point that people get their feelings hurt, and I'm now having nightmares on a nightly basis. I also haven't been sleeping. It's like i can't turn my mind off. When ever i close my eyes i just start daydreaming and scenes play through my head. Some of them even make me cry. I don't have another therapy appt for another month because my psychologist is away. I was wondering if any of you had any experience with nightmares, excessive day dreaming, etc and could give me tips on how to make it through these coming weeks without falling back to SH. Also, i was really shocked when i was diagnosed with ptsd because while a lot of things have happened to me that people consider traumatic, the subjects of the nightmares etc don't really fit those categories. My psychologist couldn't really tell me why either. I mean i've been subject to a lot of violence at home, but i wouldn't call it abuse. Thanks so much.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Nightmares/PTSD - August 5th 2011, 11:14 PM

Hey there! Sorry to hear you're struggling while your psychologist is out of town. I'm surprised s/he didn't refer you to someone else for the month... that's a long time to go without therapy when you're suffering from PTSD. Is there someone you could talk to in the meantime? I noticed you're a Christian, so perhaps there's a youth pastor you can meet with 2-3 times per week. Also check out support groups for anxiety/PTSD, as well as the possibility of contacting your psychologist via telephone/e-mail while s/he is out of town.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
daisyduck Offline
Average Joe

Re: Nightmares/PTSD - August 6th 2011, 01:17 AM

The problem is i'm away for 3 weeks and then she's away for a couple, which is why i'm missing so much. It's really hard because i just switched to her from another therapist and i've actually been able to open up to her.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Nightmares/PTSD - August 6th 2011, 01:28 AM

I go through the same exact thing as you do. Exactly. I would suggest talking to someone else you trust while your away and your psychologist is away. You can always PM me if you'd like. I'd love to listen and help in anyway I can. Take care and stay strong. Remember SH doesn't have to be the first thing you go to. There are other alternatives such as writing, talking, etc.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
daisyduck Offline
Average Joe

Re: Nightmares/PTSD - August 6th 2011, 01:33 AM

Yeah, writing is a really good alternative. I've been writing everyday for weeks now. I fill 7-8 pages sometimes. It's hard to talk to people here because there are very few people that I feel safe with. Very few. I almost considered emailing my therapist because of how bad i felt yesterday, but then i changed my mind because i mean we pay her, and emails wouldn't be compensated for, and i don't want her to get upset.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Nightmares/PTSD - August 6th 2011, 01:40 AM

You can feel safe with me. Just putting that out there. No pressure though. Take it into consideration, and if you ever feel like chatting; shoot me a PM. Ok? As for your therapist and emailing her, I doubt she'd get mad. I think she'd appreciate the fact that you emailed her instead of self-harming. I think she'd be proud of you for taking the time to talk to her even if you can't see her right now.

Closed Thread