TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Panic Attack? - September 1st 2011, 09:16 AM

I was out at the cinema last night with my boyfriend and his dad, going to see the new Inbetweeners movie. I double checked the age rating on the internet before going because my mum thought it was an 18 and I'm only 15, but it was rated 15. So I wasn't worried, I mean I thought I looked my age. So we get to the cinema and it's packed because it's Orange Wednesday or something. I can feel myself getting more and more anxious because I wasn't expecting that many people and we have to cue for ages to get to the cinema. We already had tickets because we'd bought them online. Every time someone brushed against me my breathing would increase, but I managed to keep calm by putting headphones in, staying close to my boyfriend and closing my eyes.

When we got to the front of the cue we get told we look under fifteen. Neither of us have any form of ID at the moment because we've finished school but aren't eligible for any sixth form or student ID until September. They said next time bring your passport but I don't even have an up to date passport.

Anyway, I have something with my name and date of birth on it, but it's not good enough because it doesn't have a photo. All this time my breathing has been increasing and I feel dizzy and I can feel my heart rate speeding up. We're holding up a cue of a couple of hundred people.

I tell my boyfriend that I need to sit down. I can hardly get the words out and I'm hyperventilating. The room feels to crowded and too dark. He sits me on one of those motorbikes for the arcade games and proceeds to carry on arguing with the guy. I'm feeling really dizzy and I can't think straight, my ears are ringing and I burst into tears, but only for two seconds, then the tears stop. After about a minute or so I stand up because I don't like being on my own in the corner, and I stand behind my boyfriend saying that I want to go home. I feel really ill and I'm trembling.

In the end we get a refund and leave the cinema but I honestly feel terrified whenever I think about that place and can't imagine happily going there again.

This only lasted five or ten minutes, peaked in the middle. Do you think it was a panic attack? I've had high levels of anxiety before but never anything like this. And also, do you think it will happen to me again? Because I really don't want it to.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Panic Attack? - September 1st 2011, 10:03 AM

It does sound like a panic attack, I have panic attacks and that does sound rather similar to what happens to me when I have a panic attack. Like you I avoid the places that make me panic. Usually crowded places. I don't whether or not it will happen to you again. I have them quite abit, but you may have just had one and may never get another one. If they continue its probably best to see your Dr.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
bailatyvm Offline
bada bing bada boom.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Faith

Re: Panic Attack? - September 4th 2011, 04:17 PM

Oh; I'm sorry it does sound like a panic attack. While I can't tell you whether or not it will happen again, I do know that they're scary and if you worry too much about having another one, it might induce it. In the future if you ever feel one coming on, just calm down and put yourself in a happy place. Breathe and forget about everything that's happening in your life at the moment, alright? I know they can be scary, but you can get past them

--
searching for myself...
and hugs. mostly hugs.
--

Closed Thread